. .
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Hi
    I am going to change the cables going to the motors as I have been reading that the cables fitted are not very good,could anybody give me some advice on what cable to use and were to buy them,
    thanks
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. Have some fun with the machine first. If you really want to change them I would use either 0.75 or 1mm^2 CY 4 core cable for this machine. here is one place Cy Cable Per Meter 4 core (0.75mm CY Cable) ONLY £0.48.. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. Have some fun with the machine first. If you really want to change them I would use either 0.75 or 1mm^2 CY 4 core cable for this machine. here is one place Cy Cable Per Meter 4 core (0.75mm CY Cable) ONLY £0.48.. ..Clive
    Good advise because it's not just the cable being rubbish thats the problem there's the connectors has well plus often the Cable chain is too small so you'll end up replacing has well. Only do it if needed and then do the Lot.

Most (including me use 4 wire CY shielded cable) on their machines - I think I got mine from RS Components, but that's likely the expensive route.....you'll need to make sure all your shielding is grounded to a single point to mains ground (a star point is the term iirc) and make sure the far end of the cables at the motors etc. is not contacting anything to avoid ground loops (these are bad). I used bits of heat shrink to ensure isolation for the far ends.

Hope that helps......

Thanks for the advice,Think I will order cable and connectors so I have them but won't fit until there is a fault.

In this instance what is the difference between 'good cables' and 'not very good cables' ? also will your proposed 'good cables' fit inside the energy chain ?

Good point EddyCurrent. There is a local electrical wholesalers close who I am friendly with so I will check with him I hope he would be able to get 4 wire CY shielded cable the same size,

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    In this instance what is the difference between 'good cables' and 'not very good cables' ? also will your proposed 'good cables' fit inside the energy chain ?
    My experience with these machines is that standard cy cable from like of CSE cables etc is far superior. The stuff on these is brittle horrible stuff and the connectors are nasty so need hacking off. . . . . The cable chains on the one's I've dealt with where to tight and caused rubbing. . .. . . That's why I said what I said further down.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    That's why I said what I said further down.!!
    That's right, I couldn't agree more, I just wanted to know the difference between 'good' cable and 'not so good' cable in regard to why 'not so good' cable could not perform it's function in this instance.

Back from a couple off weeks work I had a play with the cnc and took the table off it just for a nosey

Hopefully I will get to put table back on and cut something tomorrow .

I think it's looking quite good.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information