. .
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Did you ever bother to put scope on them and check the timings.?
    Not sure what you would check with a scope, if driving from one output, each driver would be getting the same signal at the same time, where could any cumulation of errors arise.

As most on here, me included, are only talking about driving two steppers for one axis, much of your comments are superflous

2. What about homing? if you have multiple motors running off one output and you need to home and you have a switch on each axis, how does it handle that?
    If you have a gantry and have a motor on each side connected to one output and have one home switch, how will it be able to home both sides accurately?
    Also the more load you put on the output the more likely it is going to be susceptible to electrical noise and then you may have one axis loosing a step or two and over time this will add up to a big error.

Homing is obviously a bit more tricky but is quite possible, the controller output goes to two drivers so it is possible to switch each driver input individually with a bit of logic.

As long as you do not overload the controller output I do not see a problem, if you end up taking a few more milliamps from the controller (within it's ratings) any electrical noise will be a less percentage of the signal and will apply equally to both drivers, so do not see why one axis would lose steps without the other.

Dean,
    Like all devices there will be limitations and I'm thinking that these cheap controllers are for simple one shot machines like a Sieg or Warco X3, WM series mill or simple home built 3 axis router that just reply on 3 + 1 axis and a single spindle, often with ER collet fitting that doesn't allow pre-set tools.

You want more features, you pay your money and move up market to the 990 series controllers.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Dean,
    Like all devices there will be limitations and I'm thinking that these cheap controllers are for simple one shot machines like a Sieg or Warco X3, WM series mill or simple home built 3 axis router that just reply on 3 + 1 axis and a single spindle, often with ER collet fitting that doesn't allow pre-set tools.

You want more features, you pay your money and move up market to the 990 series controllers.
    John I agree with you 100% on most of this but lets be honest and realistic here. Not asking for more features would just like it to do what SHOULD and allow PROPER Tool changes without resorting to messing with writing/modding post processors Etc. It states follows Fanuc standard so it should do it.

This not following standards is what concerns me. What else does it not do.? ie: Canned cycles etc.
    It's still on bench without motors etc but I quickly run some code thru it and seemed it didn't like G53 either but without seeing what actually happens when motors connected can't say for sure. Not really good or confidence inspiring start is it.!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    Not sure what you would check with a scope, if driving from one output, each driver would be getting the same signal at the same time, where could any cumulation of errors arise.

As most on here, me included, are only talking about driving two steppers for one axis, much of your comments are superflous
    John we will have to agree to disagree then otherwise we'll just go round in circles.!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    John we will have to agree to disagree then otherwise we'll just go round in circles.!
    Quick reply is not seeing my space bar! ????

What I was trying to post was, what if you used a high impedance input buffer circuit on all controller outputs to isolate them from the motor driver inputs with twin buffers on one output to run two drivers?

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 05-11-2016 at 09:32 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    What about homing? if you have multiple motors running off one output and you need to home and you have a switch on each axis, how does it handle that?
    If you have a gantry and have a motor on each side connected to one output and have one home switch, how will it be able to home both sides accurately?
    Also the more load you put on the output the more likely it is going to be susceptible to electrical noise and then you may have one axis loosing a step or two and over time this will add up to a big error.

At the moment i move gantry to the end and hit limit switch. back off till LED lights. Then via PC and servo control software jog other motor to same position. 1 min job, if i dont count starting the PC .

Till now no problem with driving 2 motors from one output even on long, fast and generally quite serious jobs. But now i agree here- that i can be sure only and if i test 100 controllers and they show same consistency. Soon will know as another one is on the way. tHhis time the 4 axis one.

Another thing is that i have not seen a single person use its 4rth axis so its still a mystery there.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Quick reply is not seeing my space bar! ????

What I was trying to post was, what if you used a high impedance input buffer circuit on all controller outputs to isolate them from the motor driver inputs with twin buffers on one output to run two drivers?

- Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    At the moment i move gantry to the end and hit limit switch. back off till LED lights. Then via PC and servo control software jog other motor to same position. 1 min job, if i dont count starting the PC .
    WTF!!! . . . Who wants to feck about with all this shite when all you have to do is buy real controller that works and provides enough motor outputs to do the job correctly.! . . . Cum-on lets keep it real.!

This particular controller lacks 4 Axis linear movement and shouldn't be bought for machine which requires it simple as that. If folks want to force into something it's not then more fool them.

The rest of it's short cummings are yet to be found and may well be trivial who knows. But in my eyes not following strict protocols like Fanuc standard is putting it on very dodgy ground straight off the bat.!

Surely the whole point offline controller is to limit hassle not introduce new ones which there is NO assitance or help from the only people who can fix the problem.!

And Boyan you can't take out of the equation starting the PC because without the PC your bonkers method can not home.! . . So yes it's very much part the equation if the PC's not on when need to home and if you need it on to use the machine WTF the point of using Offline Controller.?
    (Please don't give me "reliabilty" has the reason because I've built more than my fair share of PC based systems that run without any issues and have been running perfectly fine for several years with thousands of hours cutting time under there belts.!)

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information