. .
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ha,,,, sod off George... i got the server power supplies for nowt!!
    the speed controller was 15 quid and the servo tester was a fiver.... maybe a teners worth of postage

EDIT: sorry george, i miss read you,,, electricity bill !!
    dont put me off now man im on a roll :)
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 05-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Irving,,, you seem to have it all worked out,
    if i have any dastardly electrical plans im hoping youll stop me from blowing myself up :)

cheers z3t4
    iv been keeping my eyes open on ebay,,, iv never searched for 'condensate pump' ill give it a go

Errrrr... dilute citric ?? heat exchanger??? are you making rocket fuel to dip your jaffa cakes into !!

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-01-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    cheers z3t4
    iv been keeping my eyes open on ebay,,, iv never searched for 'condensate pump' ill give it a go
    Good luck!

cheers z3t4
    Errrrr... dilute citric ?? heat exchanger??? are you making rocket fuel to dip your jaffa cakes into !!
    lol
    The ex-commercial ones get really badly scaled. Citric is a really good, food-safe descaler and is gentle with copper boilers and HX's; you just have to be patient, which is where the peri pump helps.

I would never knowingly so abuse any Jaffa Cake in my care.

John

Hi Mark,

Sorry this thread is splitting in two. Referring back to your earlier reply, 80A S/C is OK, and for £15 is probably the low voltage type so don't run it at the 37V (12V is OK). Servo tester is OK and at some point I expect this could be speed controlled from the PC since there is a pot behind the dial. Not done speed control from a PC myself, but plenty of experts on here who could help . . .

I only use outrunners, so don't know about the inrunners or high Kv motors you are considering (from helis and ducted fan models). Nice idea about the engraver using the motor shaft.

Watch out for the heat buildup since these motors are all normally in the airflow. Especially if you go down Irving's route and go for the full 1700W. Some inrunners have finned sleeves which you can buy and fit over the outside of the can. For outrunners you might be able to fix a fan to the outer case, since this rotates, and it will blow air down through the holes into the windings. Bit of noise i'm afraid, so you'll have to see how it goes.
    Wonder if you bolted a prop adapter on the back face and added a very small prop, instead of a fan. Mind your fingers, or add a guard if you do!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

cheers routercnc

will i be ok using the 80A speed controller on a much smaller motor... it would be nice if i could use all three motors without having to swap about with diffrent ESC's

im not sure ill bother linking my spindle to the PC, iv got an optical rev-counter, i think ill just dail in whatever speed i want and stick with the simple life

im considering a goverer speed controller.. iv heard they will hold the revs steady under diffrent loads

cheers routercnc

will i be ok using the 80A speed controller on a much smaller motor... it would be nice if i could use all three motors without having to swap about with different ESC's
    Yes, any motor up to 80A should be fine with that speed controller. Is the speed controller programmable? You may find that adjusting some settings (such as 'timing' and 'frequency') will make the ESC run different motors more efficiently.

im not sure ill bother linking my spindle to the PC, iv got an optical rev-counter, I think ill just dial in whatever speed I want and stick with the simple life
    I wonder if mach3 can do this. The input to the speed controller is just a simple PWM signal and mach3 can output PWM for spindle control at a set frequency.

I've got a huge 130kv brushless motor I think I might try as a spindle when I've bought an ESC for it. It's rated for 48v and claims to be 6500W(!) ... hadn't thought of controlling the speed from the computer though.

I agree about using a fan - these motors do get hot even running with no load from my experience. If you've got a lathe then you could make a pretty nice heatsink just by starting with a bar, bore it to fit the motor and add fins using the parting tool...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

nice one jonathan, yea iv programmed the ESC for soft start, 14 poles etc.

iv run both large motors for 5mins 12v no load without to much heat in the ESC or the motors
    i exspected way more... we'll find out eventualy what they do under load

the huge 130kv brushless motor you have (if its the one im thinking it is) has a 12mm
    shaft wich is good news as far as A/C bearings are concerned and if you have a butchers on ebay you should be able to find an ER11 C12 L100 straight collet shaft,, that should drop straight in:naughty:
    cheak how much shaft you need though as these have only 100mm of shaft!
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 05-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Yes it's the motor you're thinking of! It's currently in pieces since I'm altering the wiring so that I can change it between star/delta for higher torque/rpm etc. You may mant to consider this for your motors? Easier to swap a few wires than change the motor, perhaps.
    I've found the straight collet holder - that looks ideal (thanks!), except the shaft is a bit short! I'd prefer ER25 though since I've just bought a set of ER25 collets for my milling machine. I'll have a look around for one / make one if necessary.

The bearings in the motor are already pretty huge. The one at the 'back' is a large thin section bearing about 65mm diameter if I recall correctly.

Maybe create a thread about using these motors?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 05-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.

jonathan... good luck with the ER25, iv seen a few of these ER straight shafts with 150mm to play with,,
    cant remember seeing an ER25 though
    if you get chatter i would consider at least a double row A/C bearing at the sharp end,
    they are already pre loaded and ready to go

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information