. .
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I was thinking of a bar of plaster in the tailstock ready shaped and then pushed up to the headstock...Did that make sense?
    Not really, although i can see where you're coming from. The challenge is that the tailstock is MT1, spindle is 1.25" diameter. You'd have to embed an MT1 arbour into the plaster when casting it in a 1.25"ID tube and how would you ensure its dead central and in line? Seems a lot of hassle to me...

Also a 1.25" reamer is about £70 which is way more than its going to cost to have the spindle reground...

I had a quote from a 'mobile line-boring' company who normally do much bigger jobs but it was silly money. If I had another working lathe and a milling machine I suppose I could make up a line-boring jig using 2 bearings supported on the cross-slide to hold a boring spindle with a small pulley to be driven from my 3phase VFD'd motor and using the tailstock centre to align it... but then if I had another lathe I could take a fine cut off the spindle, although getting an accuracy of 4 - 5thou over a 12" length would probably be tricky.
    Last edited by irving2008; 12-06-2008 at 10:22 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Here's me thinking everyone has lots of reamers and a working lathe ;) (mine was out of action for 2 days waiting on belts and I was beside myself) My previous one made the rivets for the Titanic.....I sure don't miss it :D Although I discovered that a LH thread requires modification to my 1992 Warco! Oh well it's all fun....Or savage amusement lol
    Well when I get this one up and running a LH thread will be easy.... :) can do either, in imperial or metric....

The spindle is going in to be reground tomorrow AM early and I hope to get it back next week. They reckon it'll be 2h work inc setup as they'll need to make a MT3 arbour to hold the nose end and chamber the inside of the tail end to hold it on the grinder centres - they do all precision grinding between centres.

So this weekend I'll turn my attention to the Gamages lathe and get that set up on a board so I can try it out. At least the motor is running!

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Well when I get this one up and running a LH thread will be easy.... :) can do either, in imperial or metric....

The spindle is going in to be reground tomorrow AM early and I hope to get it back next week. They reckon it'll be 2h work inc setup as they'll need to make a MT3 arbour to hold the nose end and chamber the inside of the tail end to hold it on the grinder centres - they do all precision grinding between centres.

So this weekend I'll turn my attention to the Gamages lathe and get that set up on a board so I can try it out. At least the motor is running!
    Any joy with the Gamages lathe ? how did the regrind go ?

4. Quote Originally Posted by CheekieMonkies View Post
    Any joy with the Gamages lathe ? how did the regrind go ?
    Should get the spindle back on Wednesday....

The Gamages started out well and went downhill.... :(

Working on a strap to repair it... to save repeating myself, look here: [ame]http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=160002[/ame]
    Last edited by irving2008; 23-11-2009 at 12:19 PM.

5. Got my spindle back :)

Cost much less than expected cos they did it as a 'homer' for cash as a favour and not through the books. All nice and shiney and smooooooooth :) and good within .0002 thou (well much tighter than I can measure anyway)

So weather permitting its 'pouring time' again this weekend!

BTW, anyone got a mill I could get access to, as I'm not likely to get a milling setip working any time soon (apart from the lack of space!)
    Last edited by irving2008; 23-11-2009 at 12:20 PM.

What about one of these:

B'n'Q sell one like it for around £50, this one i use and it seems to be the best i have seen for that price range, or do you need a proper "Mill" ?

The spindle looks sweet mate, cant wait to see what this weekend has to offer !

7. A proper mill - something that'll take a couple of cubic inches out of a casting in a relatively short space of time...

It could wait till I get the 'big' lathe running...

Didnt think B&Q sold milling machines, nothing on their website and cant say I've ever seen them. I've got a cheap pillar drill from B&Q - bought in the sale a couple of years back, reduced from £75 to £15 last one and with a damaged box but its not exactly a solid bit of engineering, struggles with 6mm into cast iron or 8mm into steel.... but hey, the drill bits cost more than the drill!

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    BTW, anyone got a mill I could get access to, as I'm not likely to get a milling setip working any time soon (apart from the lack of space!)
    Rather depends on where you are.

I'm due south of London, stop just before it gets wet.

About ten miles west of Brighton.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Anywhere near Yorkshire?
    Brighton's a lot nearer... :)

Any advancments ?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information