. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes it does all depend on what you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiatroda View Post
    The fact is my rotary table have 4 t-slots so it looks like 4 jaw chuck with 4 front mounting holes as well will be perfect couple
    True, but it's not really hard to make a backplate is it...

I have a 200mm 4-jaw self centring chuck on my lathe, TOS brand. It's very accurate, but that's probably not an issue on a rotary table.

2. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    You need to think about what you're planning on doing with the rotary table.
    The first job i need to do is to cut 12 tooth 3m htd pulley from steel bar so I'm thinking about holding a stock in a chuck. Another issue is to produce a cutter to cut 3m hdt profile. I searched internet but it looks like the only option is to make cutter myself

Another issue is to produce a cutter to cut 3m hdt profile. I searched internet but it looks like the only option is to make cutter myself
    That's what I did for XL pulleys ... but then that's only a trapezium.

Small ball nose cutter and several passes to get the right profile? Would take ages but if it's a one off why not?

P.S. I've got some 3m HTD pulleys if you're interested... I'll go and check what sizes.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    True, but it's not really hard to make a backplate is it...
    I have a bit of 6mm steel plate in stock. Do you think is it thick enough ??

I have a bit of 6mm steel plate in stock. Do you think is it thick enough ??
    As long as you don't need to tap it more than M8 I should think so. If there's a fair few bolts then it can't bend much. If it was on a lathe you would want more.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's what I did for XL pulleys ... but then that's only a trapezium.
    Small ball nose cutter and several passes to get the right profile? Would take ages but if it's a one off why not?
    The profile for 3m looks like this
    Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  3.9 KB
    What about to drill 12 holes 1.8 mm dia then turn it to proper outside size???? Eventually tweak corners a bit
    Jonathan I have those pulleys, but I need something like shaft ending with a pulley on the end. The stock one are not any good, I tried:sad:

That looks like the profile for the belt, not the pulley. There's generally a small difference.

I've seen pictures of it done by drilling, so I suppose it's worth a try. I can't think of any reason for the holes not to be accurate. I would use 1.9mm as you'll be a bit stuck if the cut-outs are too small and it does not fit.
    You might be able to 'tweak' the corners well enough with a chamfer. Maybe put it in a lathe and spin whilst holding a piece of wet and dry to it.

Drill 12 holes 1.8mm dia on a 9.96 PCD.
    Then turn the OD back down to 11mm and give it a stiff wire brush up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12T_3mm_HTD.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	4332
    John S -

9. I think I'll go for self center chuck and eventually in a future for independent jaws.
    Thanks Jon for calculations to do pulley this way will save me hassle with producing a cutter. What's the program by the way????

Pulley generated in Gearotic,

www.gearotic.com

Then saved as 2D DXF, brought into CAD and the two circles added and dimensioned.
    John S -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information