. .
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    a good material? Stainless Steel Box Section - 40mm x 40mm - The Metals Warehouse

once i get some info on a good material size and price i can start the design :)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHighRC View Post
    No extrusion then aye...bummer, look much simpler haha
    Ye it can be simpler but not has much as your probably thinking and it will cost at least 3 times the price of steel. I build a machine that uses HD profile but it's used in a very specific way and using thick aluminium plate machined to match so it's not exactly DIY or cheap and you need CNC machine to help build another.! . . Chicken and Egg.!!

Steel will be much cheaper and far easier for first time DIY build.

is the above link good enough for the steel frame?

Im hoping to base the machine loosly off of this guys machine...though due to workshop size and the way this machine works it would be difficult to anything over 600x600mm cutting area...just because of the fact the table slides ather than a moving gantry...which to me looks like the better way to get the job done.

a good material? Stainless Steel Box Section - 40mm x 40mm - The Metals Warehouse

once i get some info on a good material size and price i can start the design :)
    No 40mm is too small section and you don't need stainless steel. 60 x 60 x 4mm Mild steel is what you need. If you have a local steel supplier it will be cheaper and if you buy in full lengths which will be aprox 7.5mtrs you'll get if for around £40-50 per length or less. The minimum size would be 50x50x3 and can be bought for around £35 per 7.5mtr length.

If you cut careful you should get away with 1 length.

Ok,cool :) Ill get on that then... So essentially once the frame is cut,welded and finished you then locate and bolt the rails onto predefined position on the frame, correct? after doing that you then add the stepper motors to the ballscrews, then add the wiring from the motors to the driver boards? then to the powesupply and computer? Make everything look pretty and add a router... is that the assembly in a big nutshell?

Ok,cool :) Ill get on that then... So essentially once the frame is cut,welded and finished you then locate and bolt the rails onto predefined position on the frame, correct? after doing that you then add the stepper motors to the ballscrews, then add the wiring from the motors to the driver boards? then to the powesupply and computer? Make everything look pretty and add a router... is that the assembly in a big nutshell?
    Wow slow down rover don't go jumping to far in front already. Your nutshell version is a very very very simplified concept and in reality theres a little more to it than that.
    Like I said before go do some home work and look at other build threads and designs to get an idea of whats required. This may seem like wasted time but it's not and will payoff when you are ready to start. If you skip this step you will end up with a lesser machine and big potential for wasted money.

I Have been researching builds for little under a month so far...thats why i now registered with the forum so that i can start :) I never fully intended building one, but it would be a fun project and would make quadcopter building a fair bit easier..ecspecially cutting wing ribs haha. The builds i have looked at so far were to get an understanding and somevideos are quite enteraining...My CAD abilities will hopefully help me along and to make sure the design is solid before I make the first purchase and cut. Ill post the design on here aswell to see what you fine people think of it :)

A general question... What sort of accuracy can be achieved by an average well built,accurately assembled machine? Can they top some of the commerical machines?

The thing Im finding hardest in terms of research is the general jargon that goes with CNC, after thinking of the dimensions of the machine I would like 900mm rails and 600mm rails. Able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again

I Have been researching builds for little under a month so far...thats why i now registered with the forum so that i can start :) I never fully intended building one, but it would be a fun project and would make quadcopter building a fair bit easier..ecspecially cutting wing ribs haha.
    Didn't know quads had wing ribs??!! ;)

The builds i have looked at so far were to get an understanding and somevideos are quite enteraining...My CAD abilities will hopefully help me along and to make sure the design is solid before I make the first purchase and cut. Ill post the design on here aswell to see what you fine people think of it :)
    That's the best way to do it...

A general question... What sort of accuracy can be achieved by an average well built,accurately assembled machine? Can they top some of the commerical machines?
    Only if you make them ridgid enough and use the correct equipment....but then would you expect to make your own car in your garage and expect it to be better that a production car?

The thing Im finding hardest in terms of research is the general jargon that goes with CNC, after thinking of the dimensions of the machine I would like 900mm rails and 600mm rails. Able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again
    If you have a look through build threads like http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...eady-eddy.html this one or http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...rst-build.html, http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...-building.html, http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/gantry...g-machine.html then you'll get the drift of what needs doing and roughly in what order. Look through all the build logs and then with your 3D design expertise put a couple of drawings up of the frame for people to critique and you'll be on the way. Once you've got your basic design then AND ONLY THEN can you think of ordering things like ballscrews and rails etc. Once you've got your frame, ballscrews and rails sorted then you can think about the electrics you will need.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks, Wasnt expecing his forum to be so saturated with experts at this level on a UK site, Its very nice to see :)

In terms of my design, A plane is designed around engine and passangers, the same for a car in a nutshell. Well To make the design process easier I want to chosse all the size gear Ill need to get it off the ground. So I have found these rails...Are they good enough? If so I can take the dimensions and add them to solidworks so that the design is built around these giving me the size. Also motor mount dimension would be handy...Stepper motors to me seem to have the same mounting and bolt patterns and are just longer with power...Is this correct?

If so then again, the design process will be easier :)

Im also considering these rails also quite allot bigger but Im only 20 and am a student so funds are tight so I dont want to outgrow a machine right away... CNC 3D wings would be nice :D

What are your thoughts on going bigger?

Hi

few tips for you to think about.

Well To make the design process easier I want to chosse all the size gear Ill need to get it off the ground.
    Design and build first. for 2 reasons 1. Getting the correct ones. 2 Saving on postage by ordering everything at once

In terms of my design, A plane is designed around engine and passangers, the same for a car in a nutshell.
    CnC machine is the other way round. Biuld the frame as solid as you can... the rails, motors and sized around the frame, that why you should do it first

What are your thoughts on going bigger?
    It goes up in complexity and costs, it a lot harder to get a big frame properly square, its easyer to get a medium size one accurate. Keep to a reasonable size.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information