. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El$syd View Post
    The commercial version of Easymill is £2500 and competes with the 'heavyweights' Delcam etc. but at a fraction of their prices.

I had bought a £200 CAM software package for my mill, it was OK but it is very basic. I quickly outgrew it, Easymill will see me through for quite a long time.

If a hobby mill costs £3-7K (KX1/3 at £3-4K, Syil at £3-4K+, Tormach at £5-7K, home made £2K+) then £375 price for a CAM package would not be an unreasonable cost. After all one buys the best tools to achieve the best results - cutters etc. and one spends as much on required tools as one has spent on buying the machine e.g. DTIs, verniers, vice(s) (Kurt... v.expensive!), parallels, angles,

Mostly I find you get what you pay for ... (mostly! :-)
    But EasyMilll cannot compete as it doesn't have the capability to do 4 & 5 axis as can be seen on the picture from their own website It's only 2.5D.

Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easimill.png 
Views:	384 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	3858

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've got to say I'm not convinced by easymill.

I've briefly looked at some CAM packages for turning (I'm in a similar position to the original poster), and Dolphin partmaster is the one that I'm favouring if they run another one of their hobbist deals, but for most of what I need to do for now, I think I'll get by with the Mach3 built in wizards.

If a hobby mill costs £3-7K (KX1/3 at £3-4K, Syil at £3-4K+, Tormach at £5-7K, home made £2K+) then £375 price for a CAM package would not be an unreasonable cost.
    I'm not sure about buying a CNC mill, but I think £2k+ is a bit much for a CNC mill.

I got my milling machine second hand for £320 (new £800 ish). Stepper motors and drivers cost £266. Transformer etc <£30. That's £616.
    Granted I didn't buy ballscrews, but even with that it's probably less than £800.

For me spending £375 on a CAM package just isn't happening. So far I've got along fine with a)writing gcode manually, b)writing my own programs (pulleys, wind turbine blades), c) cambam free edition and using the denford QuickCAM pro at school every so often.

You can do a lot with the cambam free edition with a bit of effort. Using that and CNCtoolkit and you'll be able to do most things. Turbine blades too....

Yes -the internet connection is required for PP.

The commercial version of Easymill is £2500 and competes with the 'heavyweights' Delcam etc. but at a fraction of their prices.
    You jest surely ?

VisualMILL 6.0 STD Windows-based 2½ and 3 axis solid/surface/STL manufacturing system. Includes VisualMill 6.0 CAM engine, DXF & IGES translator, other CAD imports (SolidWorks translator: Extra Cost Item) and configurable post-processor. $999

That's a 3 axis program for the equivalent of £625

John S.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    But EasyMilll cannot compete as it doesn't have the capability to do 4 & 5 axis as can be seen on the picture from their own website It's only 2.5D.

Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easimill.png 
Views:	384 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	3858
    Aahh.... It seems there is another Easymill - the one I was referring to was www.easymill.com (French) or www.easymill.co.uk (English).
    That one does do 4 and 5 axis in 2.5D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm not sure about buying a CNC mill, but I think £2k+ is a bit much for a CNC mill.

I got my milling machine second hand for £320 (new £800 ish). Stepper motors and drivers cost £266. Transformer etc <£30. That's £616.
    Granted I didn't buy ballscrews, but even with that it's probably less than £800.

For me spending £375 on a CAM package just isn't happening. So far I've got along fine with a)writing gcode manually, b)writing my own programs (pulleys, wind turbine blades), c) cambam free edition and using the denford QuickCAM pro at school every so often.

You can do a lot with the cambam free edition with a bit of effort. Using that and CNCtoolkit and you'll be able to do most things. Turbine blades too....

Yes it is possible to make a very low cost CNC machine, as you have.
    Depending on what you are going to use it for, you can get away with not using ball screws - if you can accept and remember to program in the backlash.

This is the lowest cost machine I have seen - Unless someone knows of an even lower cost machine.
    I would not want to make repeatable items on this - probably just my prejudice :-)

My second hand mill - a Denford TRIAC PC - cost me £1500 complete. It claims to be repeatable to 5 microns, not that I would know!

But the original question was not milling but turning - Easymill.co.uk does have a separate package for turning. I have not used it yet as my Lathe is manual only at this time! But I may get to use it on the mill as the axes translate over.

BTW - Easymill.co.uk did have a special offer over the Christmas period as an introduction to the UK market, the Hobbycam version was £50 instead of £375 for a limited time - maybe they will do that again?

Aahh.... It seems there is another Easymill - the one I was referring to was www.easymill.com (French) or www.easymill.co.uk (English).
    http://www.easymill.com
    http://www.easymill.co.uk

Yes those were the sites i was referring to, maybe you need some lessons on the differences between 2.5D and 3D/5 axis machining.

Phil

Phil

How can you do 4 and 5 axis in 2.5D ?

If you can't get the facts correct what credibility do you have ?

To do 4 / 5 axis the program has to have the ability to work with A and B axis, can Easymill do this
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    http://www.easymill.com
    http://www.easymill.co.uk

Yes those were the sites i was referring to, maybe you need some lessons on the differences between 2.5D and 3D/5 axis machining.

Phil

Phil
    So... elucidate!

I have seen a lot of 'definitions' on the web - what is your definition?

So... elucidate!

I have seen a lot of 'definitions' on the web - what is your definition?
    • A 4 or 5 axis machine is one that moves with 4 or 5 distinct axis, with each controlled independently to each other.
    • 3+2 axis - 5 axis machine where two axis are used for positioning, not moved at the same time as the main 3.
    • 3 axis - obvious
    • 2.5 axis - 3 axis but with Z only 'up' or 'down', possibly some in between but generally making 'flat stuff'.

I'm not sure how you could confuse that software with 4 or 5 axis. The terms are well defined.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information