. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, i have recently recived some center drill bits as recomended by another member, i know what they are and how to use them.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or Tip when using them, i have been using them to make nema 23 motor mounts for my cnc machine:

Sorry kip i hit the wrong button, kips posts are below:

Be careful when using small ones on hardened steel...they break!

And use a scriber rather than a marker pen as it's better for accuracy and never rely on a piece of metal being "square" when marking out.... :D

Yes it did take me a few go's to get the holes right, i managed to get the holes close enuff that i could then file out a small amount so my screws would line up with the motors.

Now i have a template i just use that to make/mark out new plates and so on:

There are some really naff centre drills around, regular PITA when they snap off. I got some cheap, centred 2 holes then lobbed the lot straight in the bin.

Caveat emptor, I've gone back to Plan A, don't use anything but Dormer :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I have a quick bodge/cludge for marking out...Draw the part in CAD and then print it 1:1 and just centre punch through the paper :D Works a treat ;)
    Thanks kip i didnt think of that, i'v downloaded the file ill take a look soon !

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    There are some really naff centre drills around, regular PITA when they snap off. I got some cheap, centred 2 holes then lobbed the lot straight in the bin.

Caveat emptor, I've gone back to Plan A, don't use anything but Dormer :D

I got mine from ebay, dont think they cost much more then £10. I take my time with them and they seem to be ok, now i think just a small drill bit would have more then likly done the trick anyway :)

CM

Quote Originally Posted by CheekieMonkies View Post
    i managed to get the holes close enuff that i could then file out a small amount so my screws would line up with the motors.
    You really need CNC it makes it so easy and everything lines up just perfect. No more swapping centre drill then bit then countersink/bore on every hole :D

I draw everything with AutoCad, convert the milling to G code and overlay the .dxf file on the cut file. Then I can use the "Move to hole" feature which puts me on the hole nearest the mouse.

:) now i can mount my motors, my machine can move/work, guess what i will e making with my machine once its up and running :D

Quote Originally Posted by CheekieMonkies View Post
    :) now i can mount my motors, my machine can move/work, guess what i will e making with my machine once its up and running :D
    First thing I made when I got my mill CNC'd was a suds pump :D

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    First thing I made when I got my mill CNC'd was a suds pump :D
    Yea i was thinking i'm gonna need to keep things cool if i'm doing ali cuts ? i was thinking of having a vac to clear the "chips" and my compressor blowing to keep the cutter cool ?

Have you got any pics of your pump?, this cnc stuff is leading me into so many "new area's" of making things so on, i love it i wish i had tuned in at school and gone down this path for a career.

Cheers,
    Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information