. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To be honest its such a nice machine i couldnt bring myself to do that to her.. she was my first!!.

I think i will just resign myself to having it the way it is for smaller jobs. it is very accurate with little wear for its age, it only had 19 hrs on its hour counter and as it was owned by the RAF I would assume that was fitted when new. its suffered more from lack of use and storage than anything else..
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    compared to the boxford you will be dissapointed with the other one

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    compared to the boxford you will be dissapointed with the other one
    I think you are spot on The build quality will never be the same as the boxford, but tha accuracy could be the same if the time and money is spent on the conversion, i think mostly this question is which is the best in this mediocre bunch....
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    unfortunately build quality and accuracy tend to go together, you loose one and the other tends to follow

unfortunately build quality and accuracy tend to go together, you loose one and the other tends to follow
    I would agree if things were being left as standard but with high quality Bearings Ballscrews and Ballnuts and the new motor , and electronics possibly a grind here and there. the rest would depend on the rigidity, if there was a realistic alternative i wish i new it...

What about something like this with brand new everything.. strip down to the bones and replacing the lot!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big thing.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	4354

Big Fecker

I saw that earlier, i think it's a router. I have an X3 here to be overhauled, it's been cnc'ed already so i'll give you my findings in a few days.

I saw that earlier, i think it's a router. I have an X3 here to be overhauled, it's been cnc'ed already so i'll give you my findings in a few days.
    a little work and it would be a nice cnc machine with a super x & y..

hmmmmm x3 a nice little machine but the way the head on the z is moved is a bit convoluted and full of stress and the thickness of the material on the pillar yet again begs for twisting. But ive seen some nice conversions and indeed some great work from these machines..

By the way Ive not heard from Irving or GeorgeD lately.. where have they diassapeared to?

they probably have bridgeport vmc's or something better and are really busy.

Sounds good, ide like another opinion on that machine...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information