. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, as will become apparent I am new to all of this.

I have aquired a Denford MicroRouter that has been modified to run on Mach3 using what I believe is the original Cable Porter spindle. What I want to do is fit a new spindle with an ER collet so I can use smal (1.0 dia) cutters to finish components that have been semi-finished on a different machine. As I would still like to use the router for machining wood I would ideally like to find a spindle that will run off the existing electronics.

The on/off and speed of the spindle fitted is controlled by a Spindle V5 board (https://0201.nccdn.net/4_2/000/000/0...spindleV5x.pdf). I have attached pictures of all the other internals in case information on them is needed.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	25626

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	25627

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	608.9 KB 
ID:	25628

Name:	20190404_124011.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	25625

buy a 6mm collet for the current porter cable spindle
    then buy a 1mm cutter with a 6mm shank (ebay)

job done, very easy, save loads of money and time

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    Hi, as will become apparent I am new to all of this.

I have aquired a Denford MicroRouter that has been modified to run on Mach3 using what I believe is the original Cable Porter spindle. What I want to do is fit a new spindle with an ER collet so I can use smal (1.0 dia) cutters to finish components that have been semi-finished on a different machine. As I would still like to use the router for machining wood I would ideally like to find a spindle that will run off the existing electronics.

The on/off and speed of the spindle fitted is controlled by a Spindle V5 board (https://0201.nccdn.net/4_2/000/000/0...spindleV5x.pdf). I have attached pictures of all the other internals in case information on them is needed.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	502.4 KB 
ID:	25626

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	25627

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	608.9 KB 
ID:	25628

Name:	20190404_124011.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	25625

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    buy a 6mm collet for the current porter cable spindle
    then buy a 1mm cutter with a 6mm shank (ebay)

job done, very easy, save loads of money and time
    If you can get a 1/8" collet, then there is a whole world of cheap cutters out there.

Hi, as well as the Porter cable being an open motor I was also worried about the run out. I am will be using some long reach ball neck tools so need to get down to a 3mm fillet.
    Last edited by ngwagwa; 05-04-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Hi, as well as the Porter cable being an open motor I was also worried about the run out. I am will be using some long reach ball neck tools so need to get down to a 3mm fillet.
    if your concerned about accuracy then a £500 route probably isn't the best for the job.

Accuracy of the part isn't critical, the long reach tools are the only way I can cut the required profiles.

Accuracy of the part isn't critical, the long reach tools are the only way I can cut the required profiles.
    it seems a huge amount of work, for very little gain. but I suppose if its the only way to make the part then there is no other option.

id also be very surprised if you could find a suitable spindle that is a straight swap.

I didn't expect to be able to do a straight swap (though it would be nice). Would I be better looking at a new spindle and building a new control box for it? It would certainly make swapping between spindles easier/

The BoB you have, I am certain, has 0-10v output to control spindle speed with a VFD and Spindle setup, so you don't need any more electronics apart from the VFD. The rest is setting it up in Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    The BoB you have, I am certain, has 0-10v output to control spindle speed with a VFD and Spindle setup, so you don't need any more electronics apart from the VFD. The rest is setting it up in Mach3.
    Thanks, so which spindle should I be looking at bearing in mind it is for finishing only so RPM is more important than power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information