. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Possibly a bit late now, but just in case anyone reads this and is interested in one here's the 'latest version' without the aforementioned weaker point:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08268 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	578 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	4352

One with the clamping bolt at the side:

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	4353

Nice bit of work Jonathan.
    I like the second design with the clamp at the side, nice and tidy.

Ian

Nice design, but I don't think you were going to have any problems with the originals apart from the sharrp corners. These are tidy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Nice design, but I don't think you were going to have any problems with the originals apart from the sharrp corners.
    I agree entirely, but most people immediately point out the sharp corner and start complaining - I though it would be best to rectify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Nice bit of work Jonathan.
    I like the second design with the clamp at the side, nice and tidy.
    Thanks...I wasn't so sure about the clamp at the side as the clamping pressure is probably less even, and if the spindle is a little too big it won't open up much. Still it's marginally quicker to cut so no problem there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Possibly a bit late now, but just in case anyone reads this and is interested in one here's the 'latest version' without the aforementioned weaker point:

Name:	DSC08268 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	578 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	4352

One with the clamping bolt at the side:

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	4353
    Hi Jonathan,

I could be interested, ive got one of these spindles sitting on my bench waiting to be fitted!, what sort of price you looking for?

Sorry to hijack, but as it goes, I'm presently knocking up spindle mount in CAD for my spindle which has a 43mm throat (or collar?)

What diameter should I make the spindle holding hole in the mount - bang on 43mm ....or is it standard to say add a 0.5mm, 1mm to the diameter etc?

Also if adding a little bit to the diameter (to aid getting the actualy spindle into the mount), what 'gap' do you then allow to pinch the bolt onto the spindle?
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 14-10-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd personally go for bang on, that way you get more even, and better clamping force. The more undersize/oversize you go, the more the collar has to deform to clamp, resulting in a less uniform clamping force on the spindle.

As for the slot, if you get it bang on, then a hacksaw blade cut should be more than enough, and if needed wedge the slot open a bit with a plain screwdriver until you get the spindle in.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'd personally go for bang on, that way you get more even, and better clamping force.
    I agree entirely. I generally bore it on my lathe (to get an optimal finish and accurate circle) using my spindle as a gauge. When my spindle only just slides in I stop. Next I machine the slot with a 1mm slitting saw and on one occasion 0.5mm as the 1mm broke. Doesn't make a difference. Next I put my spindle in the two mounts with one at either end with them resting on surface plate. Then use height gauge to measure difference between centre height at each end and put one or both of the mounts in mill and skim the measured amount off so that the spindle will be held precisely parallel to the Z-axis plate.

Oh also, here's some pictures of yet another one:

Name:	photo10.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	4741

Name:	photo4.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	4742

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	4743

It's 188mm wide if I recall correctly.

Hmmm im torn between the 2 now, is there any sort of difference? apart from the obvious size lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information