. .
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Eddy - I'm looking to build a steel-framed machine and yours looks like a great candidate for stealing the design! I am looking for a slightly larger cutting area although I don't think enough to make any significant difference. Before I start, do you have thoughts on what you might do differently if you did it again?

The only thing I would do different would be to make sure the ground was level that the welding was going to take place and I would not weld the 10mm plates to the bottom of the top beams because it warped them like a banana, I would bolt them to the beams instead with a thicker plate inside to beef up the 3mm wall thickness of the box section.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I had to strip it down a bit today because there was still a BK and FK bearing to sort out, both had bearings in facing the same way and no grease, made shims, greased, reassembled.
    More progress, ready to order some energy chain and start wiring and I'm very pleased the panel is already built.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen1.jpg 
Views:	4344 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	11883

Limit and home switch for Z axis, there is one switch and two strikers. For the home switches I mounted a piece of 6mm thick mild steel to aluminium angle to act as the target.

Name:	gen3.JPG 
Views:	906 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	11884

Motor mount for Y axis

Name:	gen4.JPG 
Views:	2506 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	11885

limit switch and adjustable striker for Y axis, there's another striker at the other end of the gantry, so one switch with two strikers.

Name:	gen5.JPG 
Views:	1353 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	11886
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 19-03-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Eddy I would move that bottom switch as the swarf and resin builds up very quick around the bottom of Z axis and you'll be cleaning it constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Eddy I would move that bottom switch as the swarf and resin builds up very quick around the bottom of Z axis and you'll be cleaning it constantly.
    Noted, however I did have a struggle to find a better position for the switch so that it could be operated at both ends of the Z travel. If it becomes a problem in use I'll move it and remember I'm cutting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Noted, however I did have a struggle to find a better position for the switch so that it could be operated at both ends of the Z travel. If it becomes a problem in use I'll move it and remember I'm cutting wood.
    Wood is even worse than Aluminium for sap and resin etc, honest you'll be surprised just how much it collects at the bottom of Z axis.
    Also with Z axis why would you need a Limit on the down because often the bed is the limit and it just stops. Most Z axis only have limit switch at the top so put it at top.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Wood is even worse than Aluminium for sap and resin etc, honest you'll be surprised just how much it collects at the bottom of Z axis.
    Also with Z axis why would you need a Limit on the down because often the bed is the limit and it just stops. Most Z axis only have limit switch at the top so put it at top.!
    There's no sap or resin in any wood I cut but I'll see how it goes once cutting starts.
    If there was no down limit the front plate would 1/2 leave one of the hiwin blocks before the ball nut hit the end, also I like the idea of a limit at each end.

Thought I'd have a play with other stuff while waiting for the energy chain to arrive.
    As I'm a hoarder I've had an old TV wall bracket in the attic for years, it can be extended out quite a long way and swivels side to side. As it is, the keyboard can be accessed easily from each side of the machine and from the front.
    The wireless MPG has magnets built into the back allowing it to 'stick' to the panel.

Name:	view1.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	11904 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view2.JPG 
Views:	687 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	11905 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view3.JPG 
Views:	580 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	11906
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 22-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Very nice set up Eddy. I assume the keyboard and monitor swing around to the side so you don't have to lean over the bed to get at them?

Looks like you are into woodwork as well, if I'm not mistaken that's a Jet 16" drum sander in the background. I'm planning on making a drum sander once the CNC (and workshop) is built. It'll probably turn out to be cheaper to buy one but where's the fun in that.

Looking very smart Eddy !
    .Me

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information