. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    hi
    I am just starting with my first cnc machine, I have bought a mach3 licence and also have cad/cam software. my problem is getting mach3 to talk to my computer. I decided to go down the route of a usb to parallel converter so I contacted star tech with the use I wanted to put the converter to, I also suggested a model in their range, after a while talking to their technical department the sales person said the tech team recommended for use with a cnc machine the Star Tech ICUSB2321284.
    has anyone else had any experience with this converter and so could advise me.

kendrick

There are NO USB to parallel port converters that will work with Mach3.

You have two options.
    1) Add a PCI parallel port.
    2) add a USB or ethernet motion controller, like the UC100 or Smoothstepper.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick57 View Post
    I decided to go down the route of a usb to parallel converter
    There isn't a USB to Parallel converter which allows Mach3 to have control of the timing of the output state of the individual pins, to quote Eric Morecambe you get "All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order" ;-)

- Nick

Hi
    Its for use with a laptop with no built in parallel port running windows 7 I Have worked out how to make a power setting with NO power saveing features at all.
    if as you all say a usb to parallel converter will not work then could I use one of those PCMCIA parallel port cards?
    kendrick

Why not buy a second hand dediacted PC off fleabay, they're only about £50 for a base unit?
    Neil...

Build log...here

I've just been investigating a diferent route a dedicated usb to parallel port adapter designed for use with Cnc machines the UC100 at a little under £100 not the cheapes but can easily move from computer to computer.
    kendrick

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kendrick57 For This Useful Post:

That's not just a usb-parallel converter, that's a motion controller in its own right. I've no experience of them but in general terms an external motion controller like this, in conjunction with Mach3, can solve a lot of timing and parallel port issues, particularly if you are using a laptop with its more problematic timing characteristics.

It might not be the cheapest usb-parallel converter but it's pretty cheap for a motion controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick57 View Post
    I've just been investigating a diferent route a dedicated usb to parallel port adapter designed for use with Cnc machines the UC100 at a little under £100 not the cheapes but can easily move from computer to computer.
    kendrick
    Going with the UC300 you will have a lot more inputs and outputs than one parallel port plus some analog ones, which means you will need a cheap BOB with only optocouplers and screw terminals.

A friend of mine with a UC100 actually switched from Mach3 to their UCCNC software, and found that it performed better than Mach3. It's 1/3 the price as well. The downside is that it's new, and right now doesn't have as many features as Mach3 does.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    A friend of mine with a UC100 actually switched from Mach3 to their UCCNC software, and found that it performed better than Mach3. It's 1/3 the price as well. The downside is that it's new, and right now doesn't have as many features as Mach3 does.
    as far as the UC300 is concerned that would require a major modification of the cnc's controller box not somthing I want to do with this machine, the UC100 is to a major degree plug and play.
    I already have the Mach3 license I did not think that UCCNC was compatable with the 6040 China machine I bought, before jazz and the rest of those out there that hate the chineese cnc range of machines sorry it's a fait accompli I am only interested in constructive comments on questions asked not my choice of machine.
    kendrick

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information