. .
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    I've just re-read the first 8 pages of this excellent project and the subject of spindle power was discussed in depth, i would tend to agree that using a small spindle will be limiting its use, I would be looking at a decent BT or INT taper spindle with tool change ability and a large motor maybe 7-8Kw and possibly a two speed pulley to give maximum speed range or the choice of steel vs alloy machining etc. ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    In my opinion both will be best. Then you dont need the spindle to be 3kw. It could be smaller. And cheaper. As the 3kw is almost 500 euros with the inverter.
    Thing is (and Dean has commented since), going lightweight on this machine is a waste. I already have a 4KW VFD that I bought some months ago (did not get the spindle at the time) as I wanted something to run a 3 phase vacuum pump and then later potentially use it on my machine.

Another option is to look at the spindles like they use on Datron machines - up to 60K RPM, 5 KW typically. Not cheap, probably £3-5K Id guess.

15KW, I cant power that (and I know Thor wont be stressed) - even the weight of that will be interesting to move around.

Anyways, Jazz, I did send you an email a few days ago about AC Servo setup in case you had time to look at it please?

Thanks

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    I've just re-read the first 8 pages of this excellent project and the subject of spindle power was discussed in depth, i would tend to agree that using a small spindle will be limiting its use, I would be looking at a decent BT or INT taper spindle with tool change ability and a large motor maybe 7-8Kw and possibly a two speed pulley to give maximum speed range or the choice of steel vs alloy machining etc. ;)
    Thanks. Our posts just about crossed over.

Any suggestions on what type of pricing for something in that range (7-8KW)? Secondhand may be an option. I may be able to get my single phase power increased (in terms of available current) but not by much, so not sure if I can drive it with the power I have available to me at present.

Where about in the world are you based?

In the UK 7-8kw is less than most electric shower heaters now so it may need a new cable running but should be do-able (providing no one in the house takes a shower at the same time ;) )

There are second-hand options but rare, have you got a "watch" registered on the 'bay so it emails you if something pops up ??

Seems the spindle is always the worst / most expensive part of any build.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Domestic properties are often supplied with a 100A fuse these days so that about 23Kw. The neibours electric might not like it though with the lights dimming etc.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Where about in the world are you based?

In the UK 7-8kw is less than most electric shower heaters now so it may need a new cable running but should be do-able (providing no one in the house takes a shower at the same time ;) )

There are second-hand options but rare, have you got a "watch" registered on the 'bay so it emails you if something pops up ??

Seems the spindle is always the worst / most expensive part of any build.
    West London however in a rented property (I know, major pain, maybe one day we can own property). We managed to get a 32A supply installed in the garage which gives me around 7KW of power. I could possibly get a 2nd 32A installed, perhaps use that alone for the spindle - not sure.

I have had watches on ebay before, may set something up again. Ive seen before a lot more options from either the US or Germany (seems typical).

One thing getting the motor, the other is the controller. If they are a closed loop system Id expect that the motor / drive are a matched set however with 'just' a normal 3 phase motor (irrespective of RPM) I assume a more generic VFD should work. Correct logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Domestic properties are often supplied with a 100A fuse these days so that about 23Kw. The neibours electric might not like it though with the lights dimming etc.
    Ive read that these can be upgraded but then of course all the relevant conductors need to be suitably sorted. For us being in a rented place has limitations.

I have looked at getting a workshop with 3 phase but anything near London is very expensive.

We are looking at moving away from London at some point but not there yet. This may limit Thor in the end with a 4KW spindle setup.

Fair-do's, you have to go with what you can do in the end ;)

At least with such a heavy built chassis, a later upgrade would be on the possible list.

Fair-do's, you have to go with what you can do in the end ;)

At least with such a heavy built chassis, a later upgrade would be on the possible list.
    Yep.

I am currently also looking at 'better' quality spindles than the cheaper ebay ones. So perhaps only still 4KW but potentially better.

Ive contact HSK and looking at getting a price for a Giordano Colombo unit. Pity the air cooled units are so noisy.

You mean 4kw direct drive spindles? Or belt driven BT and similar by 4kw motor?

Cause if first i dont see a reason why not to go with 4kw water cooled spindle. less than 400$ now that you have the drive. Bearings are cheap to change one day. What would bring the more expensive ones to the table that the Chinese one can not do??? for 1/5th or 1/10th the money?

But if i was to make it BT30 driven i dont see any option save servo driven. Why to put so much money and effort and not be able to do rigid tapping and similar??
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 10-01-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information