. .
    Hello everyone. Im new here and new to cnc. Ive been teaching myself CAD over the last year and now I want to build a machine. I've spent alot of time lurking over in the "Zone" and am kind of tired of that place. Ive read through the forums here and people seem a lot more helpful here. Im from the U.S. and I'm always impressed by the U.K people's hospitality. Cheers.

greetings. whats the weather like in Hollywood? Have a read through the build logs... lots of ideas can be gathered there.
    Get a copy of sketchup, show us what you have in mind...
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 14-01-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    greetings. whats the weather like in Hollywood?
    Ah ah Proof that British have a strange fasination with the weather.!!!. . . . . I couldn't give a toss but I'm Half Irish. . .Lol

Welcome Pistonhead we actually have a Few Americans on this site who live in UK, Micheal Marino is one. He has Build Log if you search.

Thanks, gents. To be clear, Im in Hollywood, Florida. Not California. Im about 100 miles north of the southern most point in the United States. So if you are still interested, as you can imagine the weather is HOT and humid at the moment. Tonight we should be getting a blast of cool air from the north and our nighttime temps should be in the low 60's (F). I will certainly read throught the build logs. A machine has already piqued my interest. I really like this: http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/member...117-00093.html Mine would need about 24" of Y travel though. This machine looks stiff enough to mill small steel parts and I'd be able to incorporate a tub into the design and also enclose it because I would want to run coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonhead76 View Post
    Ive read through the forums here and people seem a lot more helpful here. Im from the U.S. and I'm always impressed by the U.K people's hospitality. Cheers.
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

We can accommodate you no problem at all, here is a little info for you to get you started:

The official intension is that, if you have specific questions regarding a particular aspect of building a new machine, so for example you would like advice on selecting the best motor or servos to use, you would ask those questions in the relevant section, so in this example you would navigate to the Electronics section of the forum and start a new thread in the Stepper & Servo Motors sub-forum.

This helps others who may have similar questions to yourself, find the most relevant information much faster.

Then, once you’ve decided you have enough information to start designing a machine for your application, you would start a new thread offering your design for review (if applicable), in the relevant Machine Building sub-forum. Once you’re happy that all of the creases have been ironed with your design, it would be a good time to start a new thread in the forum that best fits your machine type, so for example the Gantry/Router Build Logs sub-forum would be the place to go.

The above being said, there are no requirements and your free and encouraged to do what you feel is the best for you. If a thread goes particularly off topic or content would serve best in another section of the forum, we can always step in and make the relevant changes to keep things more uniform.

As a side note: I would strongly reconsider using any type of un-supported round rail for your machine. It will work dont get me wrong, but you would be far far better off not using it.

Thanks,
    Lee
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I would strongly reconsider using any type of un-supported round rail for your machine. It will work dont get me wrong, but you would be far far better off not using it.
    Lee
    I have no doubt 'the boys' will reiterate this point later today :D
    Hope your thick shelled pistonhead :D

Thread Information