. .
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Looking good, I think the legs are okay as they are. Make sure you paint the frame before doing the epoxy, it's a lot easier, but leave just the top surface of the upper rails bare metal so the epoxy sticks good.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Starts to look very impressive. Nice job. I envy you for your big and nice looking workshop.

-In my opinion you don't need to adjust the table by bolts. The machine needs to be sturdy at earth level. I plan to buy for mine 6 hockey plucks. That's what my friend did and works like a charm. Not needed, but he is a maniac.

-if you follow what Eddy said and paint it, may be don't paint also where the ball screw end supports will be. When the gantry is mounted, then fix the ball screw, then go to one end and then tack solder the fixture for the end support, then go at the other end and repeat. Then remove the ball screw and then solder it carefully there. So when all is ready in the same manner you rectify the ball screws. Cause if you solder now, later may be there would be need to re drill the holes and waste a lot of effort. That's my way of course.

Thanks both for your valuable advices.
    Syliavski when you say NOT to adjust the table by bolts, what if there is any imperfection 1cm at the floor ? The hockey plucks that you suggest will be welded at the frame. What material are made of these plucks?
    When you are talking about the balscrew fixture end support, you are talking about X axis? If you see my plans i am going to attach the fixture to the frame with bolt so it will be adjustable.
    As for my work shop thanks for your comments. There is my paradise. Music, creation, and no one to bother me.
    The creative adult, is the child who survived

Quote Originally Posted by ba99297 View Post
    As for my work shop thanks for your comments. There is my paradise. Music, creation, and no one to bother me.
    Nice, where I am it's mostly pissing down with rain.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 03-08-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

I bought M25 or so bolts for the machine, soldered the nuts to the legs, thinking that will hold. When the machine was ready i left it on the nuts only and they lay on the hockey pucks. cause i did not find M25 bolts sturdy enough. On your machine M25 6cm bolt on the legs will shake like a plastic, once that heavy gantry starts accelerating.

The pucks are made from hard PU rubber. make sure they are the solid ones, not refilled with something.

You call 1cm imperfection , i have to deal with 6-7 cm inclination in my garage and i plan to level it with cement. Thats what is best to do, to level the floor under the machine. If i had to deal with 1cm, i would simply stick 10mm steel plate below the leg.

Translate for you design:
    I meant these pieces in blue Not to be welded until the gantry is ready and mounted and rectified in all directions:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSave_cnc 100x100x3 profile x400y1000z200.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	12974

Then bolt these 2 together with a piece of paper between them/that for the later paint thickness

Name:	AutoSave_cnc 100x100x3 profile x400y1000z200 2.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	12975

Then bolt all that is in blue together as it would be at the end, trying all bolts to be in the center of the holes. the bolts must not be tightened very much

Name:	AutoSave_cnc 100x100x3 profile x400y1000z200 3.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	12976

Now move to one end the gantry and spot weld with 5- 6 spots 1 of the pieces in blue from the first picture. Rotate by hand the screw and move to other end of machine. Now you spot weld the other fixture.

then dismount all in blue, ballscrews , etc. Then weld well the 2 fixtures. No everything is in parallel/guide rails and ball screws/ and perpendicular/ball screw supports.

When painted and ready, mount them the same way. So the only necessary adjustment will me made by the play of the bolts that hold the ball screw end supports to the fixtures. Tighten them when gantry is at that end.

In other words, now all 2 rails and 2 ballscrews are exactly parallel and have exactly same travel. Doesn't matter if one is up or down, otherwise using other method that also should be taken care of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSave_cnc 100x100x3 profile x400y1000z200.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	12973  

PS. Somebody has to hold the screw not to bend by its weight and the weight of the fixture
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 04-08-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Silyavski thank so much for your time and your help
    Also thanks for your plans and your colored designs
    I will make the legs ( they wont be 6cm long) i will make them as sort as possible
    I will use them to perfectly level the machine while apply the epoxy at x axis, and if the floor is leveled when i pu the machine at its final position, i may only use shims

Thanks again

Vagelis

Ps:My ballcrew end support fixtures wont be welded but bolted at the frame so it will be possible to make small adjustments
    Last edited by ba99297; 04-08-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Hi everybody
    Here is my last week progress
    Firstly i get the bolts and the steel pieces laser cutted last Friday

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	13035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	13036

In order to save money i didnt laser cut the holes ( wherever needed ) except the straight slots. I just ask to point the center of the holes
    So i use these centers and then i drill the holes

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	13037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	13038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	13039

At the following photo you can see two pieces that will be bolted together. The upper piece will be welded with the gantry tubes and then it will be bolted with the lower piece. The holes of the two pieces should be excactly coeficient so i drill the upper piece an the i put the one piece over the other to mark the ceter of the holes

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	13040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	13041
    After pointing the centers i had to drill the holes. That took me A LOT OF TIME. Even more time i need for the tapping

Name:	16.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	13042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	13043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	13044

Today i start the adjustable foot construction. Syliavski suggest me not to put that foots. Even if i use them or not they are very usefull to level the table as perfect as possible for the epoxy method. You will see each foot has 4 holes. The one at the center is for the bolt the other two ( the smaller ones ) are to bolt a softer material at the side of the foot that touch the ground. The fourth hole is for bolting the foot at the floor

Name:	24.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	13045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	13046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	13047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	13048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	13049

Then i lift the table with the winch and put the foots

Name:	29.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	13050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	13051

After that i go on with the tapping. Too much time but the result was more than good

Name:	31.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	13052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	13054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38.JPG 
Views:	321 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	13055
    After i bolt the side parts i start to work with the gantry. I put the two side braces on the table and then i attach the vertical 10m plate.

Name:	39.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	13056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	13057
    If you can see the stell plate has two projections ( left and right ) that will "sit" at the side braces so that the distance will be driven by these slots. It is something like a tagram.

Name:	41.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	13058
    Then i use long bolts to "tune" the gantry

Name:	43.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	13059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	13060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	13061
    At the follwing video you can see how everyhing joined nice

At the above photos you cant see the gantry tubes, as i put them later. But you can see them at the follwing video where i make a level test

This is my progress so far. Tomorrow i will bolt the front steel plate at the tubes and weld the tubes with the internal side plates

Thanks for your time
    I will be glad to here your comments

Vagelis
    Last edited by ba99297; 12-08-2014 at 10:25 PM.

The laser cut parts look great, I like how the holes have been marked with both a centre and an outline of the hole. This is good engineering practice and I don't know if you already know this but if the drill moves off centre this is how to bring it back into line;
    If the outline of the hole had not been marked you would not know if the drill had moved off centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESWzx3YBo3g
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 12-08-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    This is good engineering practice and I don't know if you already know this but if the drill moves off centre this is how to bring it back into line;
    Nah good engineering practice is to do it right first time and use a proper spot drill not some poxy pin prick mark.!!

Looking Good Vagelis don't drop it on your toes mate. . .Lol . . . . . .Drilling & Tapping 100's of holes in 10mm steel is good for building character and stamina needed to setup and run CNC machine. .

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information