. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The trial version limits you to only cutting their sample files:

'With the trial versions of the software you can cut sample files on your own machine'

10 minutes for that - you need to increase your pointer speed
    Thanks Jonathan, bit like the signmaking software I have then, can design anything I want but can't cut it.

10 mins isn't bad, don't forget that included logging out the forum, going to the workshop (call of nature on the way) starting the workshop computer, creating the file, saving it to a memory stick, shutting down the workshop computer, back to the house, logging back in to the forum & uploading the file.

i presume to get the angle in his letters you tell the software you are using a 45 angle bit?

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    i presume to get the angle in his letters you tell the software you are using a 45 angle bit?
    Yes you have to specify the dimensions of the tool, which includes the angle. Doesn't have to be 45 degrees...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Ok I've downloaded the trial version & the tutorials so I can have a better look, although I will have a good look at vcarve I will probably end up buying just cut2d. I don't really want any more design software as I am confident with what I already use & as it will export in all the formats that cut2d is able to import I don't see the point unless vcarve has some major advantages.
    Already got mach3 so it's just a case of sorting out which cam software works best for me.

I could see how vcarve would be a good choice for someone without any software at all & needs to learn everything from scratch. Seems to be well priced as well if you are looking to use it for business.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    10 mins isn't bad, don't forget that included logging out the forum, going to the workshop (call of nature on the way) starting the workshop computer, creating the file, saving it to a memory stick, shutting down the workshop computer, back to the house, logging back in to the forum & uploading the file.
    Dont forget the cuppa i made in the middle.. :)

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

ok guys at what point does something become either 2D, 2.5D or 3D??? any examples of each??

Not sure I understand it either Wilfy, my understanding was that if something was flat say like a circle drawn on a piece of paper it was 2D because it had length & height but no depth, 3D was something that had both length, height & depth so the same circle cut from a solid block of material was 3D.
    2.5D was something that had width & height & the illusion of depth as used in computer games when flat objects appeared to have depth.
    Problem with that is people talk about 2D machining but I can't understand how it can be 2D when you are creating a 3D shape lol

Not sure I understand it either Wilfy, my understanding was that if something was flat say like a circle drawn on a piece of paper it was 2D because it had length & height but no depth, 3D was something that had both length, height & depth so the same circle cut from a solid block of material was 3D.
    2.5D was something that had width & height & the illusion of depth as used in computer games when flat objects appeared to have depth.
    Problem with that is people talk about 2D machining but I can't understand how it can be 2D when you are creating a 3D shape lol

From what I understand you cannot cut true 3d with a conventional 3 axis machine without repositioning the material after an inital cut. Only 2.5D and some 3D IE: a 3 Axis machine can cut a cube that sits flat on one of its planes, it cannot however cut the same cube sitting on one of its corners and it cannot cut a sphere without a special tool ( a partail 4th axis..)

Rick
    Last edited by Ricardoco; 09-11-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    From what I understand you cannot cut true 3d with a conventional 3 axis machine without repositioning the material after an inital cut. Only 2.5D and some 3D IE: a 3 Axis machine can cut a cube that sits flat on one of its planes, it cannot however cut the same cube sitting on one of its corners and it cannot cut a sphere without a special tool ( a partail 4th axis..)

Rick
    That's why it is confusing Rick because the cube you have just said you could cut is 3D so a 3 axis machine can cut 3D shapes BUT it is obviously limited in what 3D objects it can cut so how would you define it, or perhaps you can't.

Anyway moving on from that I have now purchased cut 2D, having watched the tutorials & had a play about with it I can do everything I need to with it for now so don't see the point in paying a lot of extra money for vcarve which doesn't have any features that would be of benefit to me just now.
    I have the option to upgrade at a latter date if I need to so it won't be money wasted. Very impressed with just how use friendly it is.
    I had downloaded both lazycam & cambam to have a look at & although I hadn't actually spent a lot of time looking at them neither of them seemed to be particularly easy to learn.

That's why it is confusing Rick because the cube you have just said you could cut is 3D so a 3 axis machine can cut 3D shapes BUT it is obviously limited in what 3D objects it can cut so how would you define it, or perhaps you can't..
    3 axis machines Cut 2.5D Not true 3D although some would argue as tool changes and work piece re-orientation make it seem possible..

Anyway moving on from that I have now purchased cut 2D, having watched the tutorials & had a play about with it I can do everything I need to with it for now so don't see the point in paying a lot of extra money for vcarve which doesn't have any features that would be of benefit to me just now.
    I have the option to upgrade at a latter date if I need to so it won't be money wasted. Very impressed with just how use friendly it is.
    I had downloaded both lazycam & cambam to have a look at & although I hadn't actually spent a lot of time looking at them neither of them seemed to be particularly easy to learn.
    Being an Ex-Software engineer i find it difficult to put my name to much software as most of it is bloated with features that i would never use nor would most, but i found the range of software offered by vectric both Concise and easy to learn.

As with you i started with cut 2d, i then migrated to cut 3D then V-carve and finaly i saved enough for Aspire and although it hurt my pocket big time, i found in a very short time i was producing commercial quality products that other people wanted to buy from me, it soon payed for itself, and i didnt know much about the workings of CNC at all, bar what i had gleened from the helpfull people i found on this site, now i spend my time here trying to learn as much as i can and help as many people as i can...

Rick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information