. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi there folks, I'm a new member and have a questions please.

Q: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best move a 1325 router table around the workshop?

I purchased a secondhand KEW 1325 router (8' x 4') back in July/Aug 2021 and it's been in storage at a friends farm since then, but I have to move it into my garage/workshop next week. My issue is, my concrete floor is quite a rough finish (Tamped down 25 years ago by hand) and I need to be able to move the CNC router out again in 6-8 weeks times, when I'm having 3" of flowscreed poured to give me a smooth floor throughout.

I have a gravel driveway right up to my garage door, which I know isn't ideal for moving a cnc machine around, but I'll lay some 8x4 boards down to assist movement in and out of the workshop.

If anyone has any suggestion/tips about moving their cnc machine around the workshop, I'd be very grateful, thank you.

All the best.
    Phill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 11.50.44.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	342.8 KB 
ID:	30796

If the frame rails are strong enough to lift the machine,it could be quite easy.A pallet truck and a couple of machinery moving skates would probably do it.You may be able to hire skates for the job.On the gravel drive it may pay to get hold of some scaffold boards and use them as tracks.I hope for your sake the drive is near to level as a steep slope would be a nightmare.Securing the gantry and the Z axis may be prudent.

If the lower frame sections are a bit flimsy you may have to use a crowbar and a pile of plywood packers to get the machine off the ground and you can -very slowly- roll the whole thing around on short lengths of metal pipe or scaffold pole.Don't rush and don't put any part of your anatomy in places where it might get crushed.

Thank you @routerdriver, I appreciate your response, very helpful. Some moving skates look like the perfect idea once inside the garage and I have a friend who has a pallet truck. Securing the gantry is a great tip and something I hadn't thought of, thanks. I've been shopping around for moving skates, either purchase or hire. I'll update here on my progress for future reference that might help others. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by routerdriver View Post
    I hope for your sake the drive is near to level as a steep slope would be a nightmare.
    As a cheap northerner, there's been a couple of (near-death) events in my life generally involving moving heavyish equipment (generally under 150kg so probably viewed as toys). But, one cheap item that proved its worth in moving a 3x5' x 12mm steel plate (mainly for the top for a welding bench... on a frame that was going to be a router at one point... let's just say chuffin heavy) - one of those cheap electric hoists from the local German grocery store. Used it to manoeuvre the plate into position and then (affixed to the rear of the bench) to hoist the plate onto the bench-top. Just one option, particularly if OP needs to move the machine up an incline (given a suitable anchor). Just a bit of lateral(!) thinking.

Thanks Doddy. Yes, I forgot to mention in my response to routerdriver, the driveway is flat right up to the garage door, so I'm hopeful that pallet trucks and skates will get me in and out again (at a later date) safely.

Quote Originally Posted by PJMCAmbs View Post
    Thanks Doddy. Yes, I forgot to mention in my response to routerdriver, the driveway is flat right up to the garage door, so I'm hopeful that pallet trucks and skates will get me in and out again (at a later date) safely.
    We deliver machines this size and larger using the pallet truck and skate method, in fact, delivered a 10 x 5 yesterday using this method across a rough Chicken shed floor.
    one skate on each corner at one end and pallet truck at the other.

Just make sure that the skates don't sit metal to metal as the machine will slide off if they stick or jam, 2 ton doesn't exactly stop instantly when it's rolling and will try to slide off the skates in a blink of an eye. Put some wood or rubber between the frame and skate.

Also, it's a good idea if possible to connect the skates with a bar so they both travel in the same direction as they have a tendency to follow the floor and can easily go in opposite directions, or have one person on each skate making sure they steer them in the same direction, if not they will jam and potential for falling off skates.

A Trolley jack also works in place of a pallet truck.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thanks @JAAZZCNC, great to hear this is how you deliver and move machines too, very comforting. Thanks for the tips about the weight shifting, good to know, cheers.

Can you put it outside on timbers and tarp it?
    Then hire a rough terrain forklift when the floor is ready to move it in?
    Or possibly two pallet trucks and a couple of mates with muscle. They are handy in in any shop. Maybe hire one buy one.
    You will need plenty of planks and rough plywood sheets to fit over the planks to get it to the door.

Quote Originally Posted by PJMCAmbs View Post
    Thanks @JAAZZCNC, great to hear this is how you deliver and move machines too, very comforting. Thanks for the tips about the weight shifting, good to know, cheers.
    As a temporary measure just for moving you could always just bolt-on 6" or 8" castors like these on each corner. We use these on frames which we built for delivering machines where we have to move them down garden paths and thru narrow doorways with the machines on their sides and they easily handle rough terrain and roll nice.
    Just for rolling out of a workshop, they will work a treat and not silly expensive. Also, they don't mark painted floors being rubber wheels.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/industria...or-200mm/770kh
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

It's going in the shop this week @John McNamara and I'll be putting it out on timbers and tarp, (as you suggested) in few weeks when the Flowscreed floor is coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information