. .
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    Here is the updated BOB input names. Sorry for the confusion I just copied the part setup from the manual. But they were actually not relevant.
    Attachment 16859
    What's wrong with connecting the buzzer in series ? If you explain to me the role of the override switch and how it works then i'll probably be able to understand what is not right in my diagram :(
    Here is the QElectrotech file, if that can be of any help :)
    Attachment 16860
    The BOB input names are relevant especially when you are asking basic questions.

I believe you are using two 12V fans in series so that you can power them from a 24V supply now have a look at the drawing re the buzzer and the relay coil and see if you can work that out. (I am not trying to be difficult but you have to fully understand the reason) clue is you are halving the voltage with the fans..
    The purpose of the override switch is simply to provide a path to ground to energise the relay in the absence of a limit being tripped ie opened.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Alright, I get it now :) Wiring the buzzer in series drops the voltage in half, therefore both the relay and buzzer get 12V, which obviously isn't enough for the relay. So, I need to wire relay and buzzer in parallel and the SPDT switch allows opening the override line that bypasses all switches PLUS a parallel line where the buzzer is. Back to physics 101... ! :D Is this correct ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring-diagram.jpg 
Views:	2128 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	16864

EDIT:
    I still have to make the changes for the contractor and for the VFD stop.
    Last edited by eurikain; 20-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Alright, I get it now :) Wiring the buzzer in series drops the voltage in half, therefore both the relay and buzzer get 12V, which obviously isn't enough for the relay. So, I need to wire relay and buzzer in parallel and the SPDT switch allows opening the override line that bypasses all switches PLUS a parallel line where the buzzer is. Back to physics 101... ! :D Is this correct ?

Name:	wiring-diagram.jpg 
Views:	2128 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	16864

EDIT:
    I still have to make the changes for the contractor and for the VFD stop.
    Ok You are getting there BUT if you look at the changeover switch how is the buzzer going to get its ground?
    I feel it is better for you to work this out and then you will understand it.
    Also if you will allow me to correct the name for the contactor instead of contractor (they are two different things in English.) I also wish I could speak your language as well
    ..Clive

Whoops, forgot to pull that wire :) Sorry !!
    I'm writing on a MacBook Air, OS X keeps correcting my words especially when it comes to electronics. Contactor gets automatically corrected to Contractor.. sorry :D Are you saying my English is bad ? Lord, didn't think it was that bad :'(
    There you go :D

Name:	cnc_wiring_diagram.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	16865

Are you saying my English is bad ? Lord, didn't think it was that bad :'(
    There you go :D
    NO NO NO not in the slightest but I noticed from an earlier post you had done the same and just thought things had gone wrong in translation. I think your English is better than mine
    ..Clive

Haha no worries :) Considering that I am not a native English speaker, I'll have to take that as a compliment :). Putting modesty aside, I have to admit that I lived in California a few years back and that's why I happen to have slightly better English than most French speakers you'll encounter :) I try my best to keep speaking, but especially writing and spelling correctly, otherwise you can loose your English in no time.

That aside, I still have a question =) Can someone look at the enable relay circuit I have in the diagram ? I had a discussion with Graeme and I am not sure whether the ENABLE is setup correctly. Should it be a NC or NO relay ? I'm asking because it is confused whether the ENABLE actually works backwards than what its name says. It seems to me that logically, the drivers should only be working when the "enable" gets powered up (5V) and disabled when it has no signal on the line (0V) ?

Last update of the diagrams:

Name:	cnc_wiring_diagram.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	17262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linear-power-supply.png 
Views:	366 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	17263

Note: this is a basic wiring diagram.

Potential changes / improvements:
    1. Some people don't cut power directly from the VFD, they use a the start/stop pin of the VFD control interface and control it with a relay. This is safer for the spindle, it allows the VFD to slow down the spindle gradually without hurting it. if you really want to cut completely power from the VFD, some people (JAZZ apparently) also use a timer relay that delays for a few seconds the power cut to the VFD I'm not sure how to do it, I will look at it some time, and then modify the diagram in consequence.
    2. Pull earth cable from the star point to the shield of stepper motors and limit switches.

QElectrotech files:
    qet-files.zip

Cheers.
    Last edited by eurikain; 16-01-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Statistically you'll use the E-STOP very few times over the life of your machine (unless you're goofy), so stopping all power going to the VFD won't hurt really.
    No this is wrong you'll use the E-stop more than you realise. It's not always an emergency, sometimes you'll need to use it because you realise your going to hit a clamp or or Screw etc and don't have time to get to Control software to stop in controlled manner.

Who ever quoted me as using Timer relay with VFD is correct but only partly. Mostly I don't Kill power to the VFD I just send it Stop signal.

Pull earth cable from the star point to the shield of stepper motors and limit switches UNLESS you're using good shielded cable. In my case I'm using UTP ethernet shielded cable so no need for that. Plus I've got a VFD machine, so no real risk IMHO.
    Again wrong. No matter the cable quality the shield should still go to Star ground. Ethernet cable can still be affected and Using a VFD makes it more important to have good grounding not less improtant.!

Statistically you'll use the E-STOP very few times over the life of your machine (unless you're goofy), so stopping all power going to the VFD won't hurt really.
    I think you will use the E-Stop more than you think. I for one would not kill the power to the VFD I would (but I don't) kill it with the stop control pin.

edit Dean beat me to it.
    Last edited by Clive S; 16-01-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    ..Clive

Sounds good, sorry for the misunderstanding. i'll earth everything. Can anyone provide a brief wiring diagram for how to do the trick please ?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information