. .

Thread: New start

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Yeah, I come from more of a machining background. I was thinking of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". But, I bet a good 1/4" coated 3-flute without too long a cutting helix could do 8K. Hopefully, I 'll get to see in next month or so. My 2.2KW spindle should be here in couple weeks.

Thanks,
    Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wallyblackburn View Post
    Yeah, I come from more of a machining background. I was thinking of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". But, I bet a good 1/4" coated 3-flute without too long a cutting helix could do 8K. Hopefully, I 'll get to see in next month or so. My 2.2KW spindle should be here in couple weeks.

Thanks,
    Wallace
    I cut Ali regularly with 8mm 3 flute Uncoated Carbide cutters at 12K-15K and 6mm 15-18K. Very rarely do I drop below 10K with any cutter when cutting ali.
    The 2.2Kw WC spindles don't really have enough torque to cut ali at lower speeds.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-03-2018 at 10:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Alright, since you are all discussing :D

How about a v-bit 60degrees 2 flute.
    What's a starting point in mdf and in oak?
    The only suggestions I've found are for shapeoko type machines and I dont think they are all that accurate for me since they refer to dialnumbers on dewalt routers for speedsetting and something like 500mm feed (20 ipm)

I must be able to go faster? And DOC ? Is it even that relevant when engraving? :)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

5000rpm / 3000mm/min for a 10mm HSS V-bit in hard wood.
    7000rpm / 4800mm/min for a 10mm carbide v-bit in hard wood.

Both are 2-flute tools, just estimates as it depends on how deep you go etc with an angled cutter.

DOC is always important, all factors are important - get them too wrong and it goodbye cutter :)
    Last edited by Davek0974; 31-03-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    5000rpm / 3000mm/min for a 10mm HSS V-bit in hard wood.
    7000rpm / 4800mm/min for a 10mm carbide v-bit in hard wood.

Both are 2-flute tools, just estimates as it depends on how deep you go etc with an angled cutter.

DOC is always important, all factors are important - get them too wrong and it goodbye cutter :)
    Well.. I expressed myself badly.. :)
    What I ment was that I will engrave with max 5mm (mostly about 3mm) DOC so to my thinking it should work in one pass?

As the spindle is (as you put it) useless under 8000rpm I should be aiming for 5000mm/min? As starting point?
    Haven't even tried jogging at those speeds yet :D
    Still playing and calibrating but 4000mm/min went fine so I will give it a try next time I get a chance!
    Thanks

I would try at whatever setting you and your machine are comfortable with to start ;)

V-bit are awkward for feed/speed as the diameter is not fixed so the speed will only ever be correct for one part of the tool. Wood is very forgiving and people do this every day so we know it can work. If using router bits, they sometimes come with recommended settings on the pack and routers are generally high speed so these tools would suit the spindle well.

Its all a matter of breaking tools and learning - I shudder to recall how many new carbide bits i smashed when learning the settings, its a sharp lesson when you put a new £15 tool in and it only cuts 5mm before going in the bin :)

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    I would try at whatever setting you and your machine are comfortable with to start ;)

V-bit are awkward for feed/speed as the diameter is not fixed so the speed will only ever be correct for one part of the tool. Wood is very forgiving and people do this every day so we know it can work. If using router bits, they sometimes come with recommended settings on the pack and routers are generally high speed so these tools would suit the spindle well.

Its all a matter of breaking tools and learning - I shudder to recall how many new carbide bits i smashed when learning the settings, its a sharp lesson when you put a new £15 tool in and it only cuts 5mm before going in the bin :)
    Oooh.. sounds promising. With no local suppliers for new bits I might err on the cautious side ;)

Try to buy some Chinese bits ,a dozen of them in different size there is no way to avoid braking some of them, was In procedure of eliminate some router bits before I sell my previous CNC,lol.
    No matter what the calculators says about speed and feed it also has to to with your machine's settings as Davek already said. So better to brake some cheap bits than to see to cry for the expensive ones....
    I can't recall how many times I stamp a bit in a wood and Plexi because I forgot to zero Z axis!!! ,:-P

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Try to buy some Chinese bits ,a dozen of them in different size there is no way to avoid braking some of them, was In procedure of eliminate some router bits before I sell my previous CNC,lol.
    No matter what the calculators says about speed and feed it also has to to with your machine's settings as Davek already said. So better to brake some cheap bits than to see to cry for the expensive ones....
    I can't recall how many times I stamp a bit in a wood and Plexi because I forgot to zero Z axis!!! ,:-P
    This was my plan. But since Sweden has new import charges Im searching for a eu supplier. Shipped from Germany would be nice and fast :)

Been playing some more :D

Look at this video, what might be causing this weird motion?
    To fast motion for set kernel speed or just funky g code?
    Have cut circles with constant speed so this was a first :)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hlvP9uEJP8g

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread Information