. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    HELP! I think I have had it 3 year maybe with varying amounts of use and a few intermittent problems along the way however it has just given the big white puff of smoke!

question is what to replace it with? another Chinese one I got from chai or something else?

need to act fast though as I have work waiting.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 22-08-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Just buy one from China again, if you want guaranteed up-time buy two and rotate them, replace them as they blow.
    I use Siemens and still have spares on the shelf ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    HELP! I think I have had it 3 year maybe with varying amounts of use and a few intermittent problems along the way however it has just given the big white puff of smoke!

question is what to replace it with? another Chinese one I got from chai or something else?

need to act fast though as I have work waiting.
    I have ordered on from cnc4u as the can get itvto me this week just need to find out why it blew, I noticed a flash come from the plug on the spindle so I assume it was something that end, I found a scorch mark to prove this on the plug

I'll have to try order a spare when I get some cash back in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	22660  

I have ordered on from cnc4u as the can get itvto me this week just need to find out why it blew, I noticed a flash come from the plug on the spindle so I assume it was something that end, I found a scorch mark to prove this on the plug

I'll have to try order a spare when I get some cash back in.
    Mine did exactly the same as after many years of use the constant movement on the cable and plug caused the pins to have a bit of play in them. It arced and the vfd cut out. I didn't realise what had happened and carried on for a few days. Then it arced again and the vfd was toast this time. It was an expensive Moeller drive at about £350? and had a quality feel to it but they all go the same way if power is interrupted to the motor momentarily.
    I bought a Chinese one which blew the moment I switched it on, so swapped it for another and that was has been fine. I direct soldered the cables (remove end cap) added a strain relief collar and added an earth cable inside the housing. Strongly recommend this sort of mod otherwise you will blow another one if the connector can move around when the machine is cutting.

If you go for another plug then make sure it is a good fit on the pins and the cable has strain relief and cannot move around near the plug end.
    Last edited by routercnc; 22-08-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

soldering it sounds like a good move I will be sure to do that, did you take the 4 pins out and then modify it so the wires went through the top? along with the earth?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    soldering it sounds like a good move I will be sure to do that, did you take the 4 pins out and then modify it so the wires went through the top? along with the earth?
    It is a common mistake not to securely fix the cable to the VFD plate so that there is no strain on the plug, If you take the cap off be careful as the water inlet and outlet might need to be resealed.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Could it be that it shorted inside? Measure the coil's resistance. It may be water damaged? Then open, clean , dry and thats it
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Could it be that it shorted inside? Measure the coil's resistance. It may be water damaged? Then open, clean , dry and thats it
    I very much doubt it
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I very much doubt it
    You may doubt it as much as you like, but once when i was cleaning my spindle by mistake i used compressed air and that's what happened. So i had to open, dry , close again and it worked. i have seen on forums some people that have a leak and when closed the leak, then all was fine. It takes a minute to measure if its shorted to body.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information