. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi there,

Looking for a Mach3 (or similar) converted machine for producing prototypes from Aluminium and ideally harder materials such as Mild and Stainless Steel.

Looked at ex-school Boxford machines that look great, but something with a 4th or even 5th axis would be ideal.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but budget can run into 4 figures if need be.

Thanks

Josh

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Fantastic - I love seeing things like this and spend a lot of my time browsing the various crowdfunding websites. Problem is that I need the machine within the next few weeks, as much as Id like to be in a position to purchase one of these and wait, its not ideal for me right now!

Have you evaluate the Chinese 3040 5 axis design that looks like a mill?

Just remember that you will need to pay shipping and VAT on top if bought on EBay
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post

Just remember that you will need to pay shipping and VAT on top if bought on EBay
    Do you mean this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Axis-CNC...c=1&rmvSB=true

I have been specifically told to avoid this machine by the guys on here. Shame really, it looked so promising! haha

Those machines can hardly cope with machining wax, let alone any form of metal.

To be honest, if you are looking at machining anything harder than aluminium, then you are best looking at a mill.
    Cutting steel needs much more torque and lower spindle speeds and a much more rigid machine than a traditional router design.
    you would be best to get a 3 axis CNC mill and add two rotary stages to give you 5 axis, but you also need to consider the cnc controller as well.
    Or get a second hand 5 axis machining center.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post

Buy FS4MG LANG and add one of those china 4th/ 5th axis.
    http://cnc-technik-mueller.de/fs4mg-...lgussmaschine/

This + usbcnc (Eding) + leadshine closed loop stepper 2nm (ebay) + gdk80-12-24Z/1.2-2.2 spindle
    But be prepared that the end price is around ~6.5K euro without tax
    Fusion 360 as CAM software (3+2axis) "free"

Also buy a haimer 3d probe , a bunch of 1/2/3 flute VHM mills for alu and a decent toolsetter + add limit switches to the machine + a decent vice (the Vertex VA4 fits nice on the bed)

Now you home the machine -> inset the haimer probe -> it auto measures length and does compensation (G49) -> zero the stock
    Now run your code -> insert endimill -> auto measure length and G49 it (saves you so much time and makes your tolerances much better).

Having a spindle that has ATC is even better ... but those are quite pricey.

I have not done any steel yet , but I can't see why it is an issue (forgetting the spindle speed).
    They Also Have the FS3MG which is "made" for steel. The base price is quite a bit higher but still doable for a small business.
    Last edited by DuffelBuffelWuffel; 23-09-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshi View Post
    Hi there,

Looking for a Mach3 (or similar) converted machine for producing prototypes from Aluminium and ideally harder materials such as Mild and Stainless Steel.

Looked at ex-school Boxford machines that look great, but something with a 4th or even 5th axis would be ideal.

Not looking to spend a fortune, but budget can run into 4 figures if need be.

Thanks

Josh
    I recently bought a Denford CNC machine with ATC. It looks smallish in the pictures but its a large lump. A few months later and a fair bit of cash invested, it can cut aluminium and brass easily. Ive done a small bit of stainless on it.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8800-...Conversion-Fix

Those small desktop type of machines will struggle. You need something more sturdy. What type of size things are you looking to machine? What endmill size (diameter) are you looking to use?

I am 70ish miles from you if you wanted to come and look at the machine and what it can do. I may be selling this, depending on my work / contract situation over the next few weeks. It may be out of your budget but worth a look to see anyways to set expectation on whats out there and what the options are.

This is a Triac VNC Auto Tool Changing Machine.
    I have replaced the old PC controller with a high end Ethernet controlled - CS Labs - IP-A
    All the servo motors and controllers have been replaced with new, modern servo motors. Servo motors are positional and typically a lot more accurate than stepper motors (but cost more too).
    The machine runs on Mach3 which includes full control of the Auto Tool Changer.
    I have also bought a small vacuum table for it and it comes with numerous tools, collets, bits etc.
    I could also include the 100L compressor for a fair price if you were interested.

Chaz

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post

If you live in the US of A - They don't want to ship it elsewhere.

I'm in the same situation as Joshi, although I'm not looking at cutting stainless, which I understand to be horrible to work with. I think my bits would be 90% aluminium. Providing I could do a bit of 3D machining (not fourth axis) and get a good surface finish, I'd be happy.

I'd be interested in looking at the Denford - it would suit me well (not too large).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information