. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    now that i feel i'm acctually going to get a cnc machine built and running, i've started explaining what i am doing to friends and family.

whilst explaining it to my brother he has asked me if the cnc will cut foamex (if thats the right spelling).

now i'm sure it will, but i'm not sure if it will do it well..

so this thread to to see what if any people find is the best way of cutting the foamex?

in my head i'm thinking a router will rip it to pieces and am thinking more like a drag knife to do the dirty work

Hi Wilfy, if we are talking about the same materiel, ie white sign making board, then the router will easily accommodate this. It wont get ripped as long as you keep to a sensible speed. Its brilliant to work with in my opinion.

Hi Wilfy, I have cut some foamex board(the solid board with less dense centre-bit lie a malteser). it does cut with a router, but has a tendency to melt if speed is too high.

I seem to get better results if I cut it in the opposite direction, ie "climb milling.

Regards, G.

yeah thats the stuff i am on about, apparently my brother gets it from work off old displays and does a lot of things with it that he said would be made easier with a cnc.

have you guys got any pics of foamex things you have cut?

Hi Wilfy

I made some 1/24th scale dolls houses and the bow window is cut (on my cnc router) from 2.5mm foamex board.

Sorry the picture quality is not the best.

Regards
    Geoff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010018.JPG 
Views:	897 
Size:	520.0 KB 
ID:	7554

oh my word that is amazing... the thought that i'll have a machine soon that could achieve something like this just blows my mind .. thank you so much for the picture

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I made some 1/24th scale dolls houses and the bow window is cut (on my cnc router) from 2.5mm foamex board.
    That's really beautiful.... Is that all your work Geoff?

Btw, unless you prefer to keep it secret, where abouts in Britain are you based?

As has been said foamex is easy to cut on a cnc machine, the images below are all a combination of foam & vinyl produced on an MDF machine by a signmaker I know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alba.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	7556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	7557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scot.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	7558

Yes, the dolls house carcase is cut from 6mm mdf. The roof tiles are a cast resin panel made in a silicon mould from a master cut from thin ply. The doors were cut and engraved (1.6mm ply) and the bow window foamex.

The other windows were proprietary plastic ones. I no longer use these windows as I cut all my flat windows in 1.6mm ply. My wife does the decoration. Glad you like it.

No secrets with regards to my location which is Morton, a village near Bourne, Lincolnshire.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Yes, the dolls house carcase is cut from 6mm mdf. The roof tiles are a cast resin panel made in a silicon mould from a master cut from thin ply. The doors were cut and engraved (1.6mm ply) and the bow window foamex.

The other windows were proprietary plastic ones. I no longer use these windows as I cut all my flat windows in 1.6mm ply. My wife does the decoration. Glad you like it.

No secrets with regards to my location which is Morton, a village near Bourne, Lincolnshire.

you know hes gonna stalk you now dont you

that house is awesome, i first read it that the whole thing was made out of foamex.. but only as thats what i wanted to hear/see. when you say the bay window is foamex are you talking the whole panel with the wall?? or just literally that thin frame of a window?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information