. .
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    You can also consider doing what I did.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14390...-heavy-DIY-CNC

I would just try to lower it from the castors to the floor and let it rest on some extra wooden blocks. To me it was a big improvement when I did that. It is less dramatic than having to do what you plan to do, but of course, if the floor you have is not stable enough, then you might need to reinforce it, but I would still not bolt the machine to the floor, or to any concrete pads.
    I’ve seen your incredible machine and post. I don’t need to move.... as you said, my floor is not solid. That’s the issue.

Fwiw..
    Haas machines are all solid bolted to the floor via adjustable anchors.
    Part of the included-in-cost installation is very precisely levelling the machine.
    To within about 0.02 mm.

Everything flexes, and the modern machine beds or frames wont be straight unless they are mounted perfectly level. +/-.
    And if they cut a part of max size, it wont be perfectly flat, straight, and level to within 0.02 mm guaranteed (which is not so accurate in fact).

A VM6 will cut a huge mold to within 0.02 mm, volumetric, mostly much better than 0.01 mm, no problem.
    Linear scales, a 13.000€ option, wont make it any more accurate, but it will insure the client gets what they paid for.

My client was extremely happy, with the VM6 with scales, replacing a machine, chiron, that had been 4x more expensive in it´s time.
    Making very very intricate 3d molds in steel, maybe 3000 kg each, that really needed to be accurate.

The molds cost about 250.000 € each, and need to have errors of no less than 0.04 mm, otherwise it shows in the final product.
    A truck bumper might need upto 8 pieces with 8 molds.

I´m on the ethical edge with disclosure.
    The general parameters above are known to anyone making molds industrially.
    It´s not right to go into any more details -- most of which I don´t even know.

0.02 mm volumetrically is hard to do.
    On a single axis, a short distance, it is trivial.
    Anyone local cutting keys for locks does that.

The difference is about ...
    2x-3x the distance, 3x, so 3x pwr 3 = 27,
    times 3 axes, 81 times less rigid/accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    Fwiw..
    Haas machines are all solid bolted to the floor via adjustable anchors.
    Part of the included-in-cost installation is very precisely levelling the machine.
    To within about 0.02 mm.

Everything flexes, and the modern machine beds or frames wont be straight unless they are mounted perfectly level. +/-.
    And if they cut a part of max size, it wont be perfectly flat, straight, and level to within 0.02 mm guaranteed (which is not so accurate in fact).

A VM6 will cut a huge mold to within 0.02 mm, volumetric, mostly much better than 0.01 mm, no problem.
    Linear scales, a 13.000€ option, wont make it any more accurate, but it will insure the client gets what they paid for.

My client was extremely happy, with the VM6 with scales, replacing a machine, chiron, that had been 4x more expensive in it´s time.
    Making very very intricate 3d molds in steel, maybe 3000 kg each, that really needed to be accurate.

The molds cost about 250.000 € each, and need to have errors of no less than 0.04 mm, otherwise it shows in the final product.
    A truck bumper might need upto 8 pieces with 8 molds.

I´m on the ethical edge with disclosure.
    The general parameters above are known to anyone making molds industrially.
    It´s not right to go into any more details -- most of which I don´t even know.

0.02 mm volumetrically is hard to do.
    On a single axis, a short distance, it is trivial.
    Anyone local cutting keys for locks does that.

The difference is about ...
    2x-3x the distance, 3x, so 3x pwr 3 = 27,
    times 3 axes, 81 times less rigid/accurate.
    ...which confirms my conclusions in this thread about permanently keeping a CNC on castors. Bolting may be necessary for that machine, and I am sure it is, but even for hobby machines, a solid base is necessary, even if not bolted, and that can not be provided if the machine is resting on rubber, silicon, or plastic wheels. They simply can never provide enough stability for the use case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsbury View Post
    I’ve seen your incredible machine and post. I don’t need to move.... as you said, my floor is not solid. That’s the issue.
    I just mean that in my experience, moving the machine may be necessary, if for nothing else, for cleaning behind, or when something is dropped which can't be reached otherwise. I think if a machine is bolted it should have enough space around it on all sides. Anyway, the concrete pads idea may be good, but it is a bigger job. I'd still start with the simpler thing first, and would remove the castors and let the machine rest on wooden blocks or a thick wooden plank, like a beam. Maybe that would distribute the forces more than enough and would still give you improvements and stability. As it is now, the actual surface your 400kg machine is resting on is extremely small and all that mass plus the extra force generated by the movements is transferred to the floor through that small surface contact. If you increase the surface which is touching the floor you distribute the forces in a better way. But of course, you will get the best stability of you bolt it to the concrete pads, so if you KNOW you never need to move it, then it is a good idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I'd still start with the simpler thing first, and would remove the castors
    The machine isn't sat on castors, it sits on 80mm Dia adjustable machine feet.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The machine isn't sat on castors, it sits on 80mm Dia adjustable machine feet.
    Thanks. Looking now on a bigger screen I can see that clearly now.

Using Aspire - which is basically the same with some design stuff added.

As for dream machine - seems to be working very well - I think you'd be hard pushed to get better bang for your buck. Give Dean a call or message. Think you'll be on a waiting list. But heeegh, I waited 6 months. Glad I did. Gave me plenty of time to research the hell out of stuff.
    I have now placed an order with Dean, 6 months it is :)

Worth the wait. What size have you gone for?

Worth the wait.
    Yes mate i would rather wait for 6 months and get what i want as it does look like a solid build
    What size have you gone for?.
    1200 x 1200 :)

Oh yeah, one up manship! Mine is a mere 600x900. Dean can I order a 1201x1201?!

Here are a couple more bits and bobs I’ve racked up in the last week. Still honing skills but learning all the time. Even went barmy and spent £20 on a proper make bit instead of my Banggood specials! Now that I do not want to break!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58A9C970-A67C-4799-B3D6-53E21F02906E.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	653.9 KB 
ID:	29604

Name:	AE559819-40DB-4060-AD27-56F498A07A2A.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	29605

Name:	306960ED-70C2-42CE-B9F9-46E9D8DEE6AC.jpg