. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ok one problem at a time.
    The biggest problem I have I suppose at the moment is speed Now I never expected it to be super fast, the speed it went at when I first got it going I could live with but after calibrating the machine to move the correct distance(to start off with it thought 10mm was 31mm) the speed of the machine went from a tortoise to a snail. if the motors could move at one speed before the calibration it should be able to after.
    It feels like a problem with speed of travel somewhere in mach3 the travel speed has been set at a set speed in mm per second.

MIRICAL APIFINY OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT
    I solved the problem, it was in the Mach3 settings under Motor Turning in the config tab in the top menu

Its the setting marked in red that is the killer, it controls travel speed it was set to 120mm per minute I will keep increasing it until the gantry does not move any faster I've set all 3 axis to 999 the largest number it will accept, changing the acceleration number to a higher figure helps as well from one corner of the cutting area to the other by positioning by hand in the far corner with the other corner as home and hitting goto zero it took 43 seconds I think that is very respectable now I just have to confirm cutting speed is still ok.
    Now I have the travel speed up to a good speed I can see the slower speed of the cutting speed.
    Kendrick

Kendrick Motor tuning is the heart Mach 3 and if not set correctly you will get inaccurate cutting and poor performance. Not sure what you mean when you say setting marked in Red but I'm guessing you mean Velocity.? With you using motion control card you should be able to much higher than 999. So this indicates to me something is wrong with your setup.

First check what units Mach is set too, Metric or imperial.? This makes a bid difference to settings in Motor tuning.

Then if possible post some screen shots of the Motor tuning screen. You will need to click on the individual Axis on the left side and take a screen shot of each screen. You must select the axis before you can make any changes then click Save Settings before moving to next Axis else any changes are lost, also push enter after making changes before moving to another setting.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Hi sorry about that jazz I tried to put a picture of a screenshot in the rebut it failed i'll try to correct it tomorrow and add the picture. It was of the screen you talked of
    kendrick

Hey Kendrick, I've got the same machine with diferent control box. 43s corner to corner sounds about right for 999mm/min. I run mine at 1200mm/min. I have had it up to 2000mm/min but that's too fast for me, I only cut small parts.

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi guys, I'm new to CNC and to the forum. Thought I'd post in this thread instead of starting a new one. Hope that's OK.

I've recently bought a 6040 from ebay similar to the one in the original post. Mine has a SMC 4-4-16a 16b DSP built into the black box. The thing doesn't work though. So I've no means of sending gcode to the steppers, etc. The only thing that does work is the built-in VFD controlling the spindle speed.

My thoughts are to strip it all down and attempt a rewire - although I can't find any diagrams on how the SMC, etc, should be wired. Or I could salvage parts and order a new controller - perhaps USB or Ethernet based - to run the steppers, etc from a PC instead of a DSP(preferred.)

Would any of you have any advice. And what "cheap" parts would you recommend to help get me up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to CNC and to the forum. Thought I'd post in this thread instead of starting a new one. Hope that's OK.
    No not really Ok has it's not fair to OP taking over his thread.!! . . . I can help you with this but it will mean you starting your own thread has I'll need to ask lots of quetions and need some pics so do this and We'll get you working.

Your free to post where you like Rye, no member here on the forum has the authority to tell another member what they can, can't or should be doing, we have forum guidelines for that kind of advice.

When applicable, your posts may be moved to a new thread and updates sent out to those who it concerns.

It would be more beneficial to YOU, if you started your own thread asking the questions you have, as it will stand out better and to the others who can also help you.

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Your free to post where you like Rye, no member here on the forum has the authority to tell another member what they can, can't or should be doing, we have forum guidelines for that kind of advice.
    So now your saying it's ok for Members to high jack other members threads.!! . . . . If it was anyone else but me who posted that you wouldnt have said that.!! . . .Your unbelievable at times Lee grow up.!!

I wasn't telling him he couldn't post I was saying it's not correct or done thing to take over and post a question about his own machine on another members thread and was best if he started his own Thread in which case he would get more help.!! . . . It's just plane good forum etiqutte.!!

Rye crack on mate and no offense taken or meant by Me.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 18-10-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Had no intention of hijacking the thread. So apologies for that - and to the OP. I'll take a few pics and start a new thread soon. Cheers guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information