. .
Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    What are you intending to control your machine with?

I went with linuxcnc over mach 3 because
    1. I believe in open source
    2. More real time kernal than windows which is important when using a PP BOB. If you're using the BOB I have with Mach 3 you need to run windows 7 or below 32 bit edition. Linuxcnc still needs to be 32 bit edition for PP BOB's.
    3. It's FREE!!!

I worked the assumption that linuxcnc will be more difficult to setup but once working properly neither would have an advantage over the other for a simple router like mine.
    You make good points!
    Im gonna use uccnc..
    Bought a second hand uc300 controller and got the uccnc license included.
    Read alot of positive comments about uccnc so it feels good.
    If I was gonna use PP like you I would probably run dual boot win with mach3 and linuxcnc ;)
    Have a feeling I would be switching back and forwards trying to decide whats better :D

Oh and about your limitswitches, hope you get them mounted in a good manner :D
    Im still planning where mine should be.
    I want travelling switches with static targets.. kind of hard thinking about where they should be on each axis without limiting travel or crashing into anything haha

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Linuxcnc still needs to be 32 bit edition for PP BOB's.
    Not so sure about that
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Not so sure about that
    It is very possible I made it up lol but swear I read that somewhere. I know they broke the PP in 64 bit windows.

Ordered a 6mm compression bit for ply ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-x22-C...72.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by Desertboy; 30-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Do you have a ballnose also ,for the finishing?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Do you have a ballnose also ,for the finishing?
    I don't have many bits yet, I have a cheap router set from Aldi lol and I ordered from China (I have them now) some 2 flute carbide endmills in 6mm and 8mm, selection of ballnose cutters and a engraving set.

Compression bits are for cutting laminates like ply they don't need (I think) ballnose cutters for finishing if just cutting if you're 3d milling ply maybe different.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

I get it,I thought you were going to use it to curve the F label you design,to do the rough cut !

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    I get it,I thought you were going to use it to curve the F label you design,to do the rough cut !
    I've designed a few things I want to make I'm going to prototype in marine ply first (£80 a sheet for the best stuff) before I move on to real wood. Got a price for metre cubed of walnut almost had a baby lol.

At the moment also thinking about varnish's and Polyurethane ;)

I'm going to get a 1/2" cutter for roughing with wood

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...FSUS0wodlRwBBg

Glad I'm not into aluminium although seeing the quote others are getting for plates you start to wonder if you should get into aluminium lol.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    It is very possible I made it up lol but swear I read that somewhere. I know they broke the PP in 64 bit windows.
    Nobody 'broke' the PP in 64 bit. Microsoft just increased security.
    Mach is essentially a virus that hooks onto the main windows core, which prior to 64bit or Win8, was unencrypted.
    With the advent of 64bit, or Win8, Microsoft moved to a protected/encrypted core, so although Art did say it would be possible to hack it (I think he actually did try..) and still have the PP work, MS changed the encryption regularly with updates, so what might work today, could quite quickly be killed by an update.
    He came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth the hassle. Even though it was possible, it would be a minefield to install, get working reliably, and to stay working. External controllers are far cheaper than they used to be, eliminate a whole host of problems, and should give far better performance.

Linux on the other hand, the core is open source, so you can do pretty much whatever you want.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Hmm Interesting on the 64bit windows ;)

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Linux on the other hand, the core is open source, so you can do pretty much whatever you want.
    Having access to the source for the kernel helps ;) There's a few real time kernels which you can use with linuxcnc not sure if any have an advantage or difference over the stock kernel included with the livecd but I do love the fact that there are several options. I remember reading the linuxcnc real time kernels are again hacks and not true real time kernels but good enough for the machines to work ok. Real timish was the term I saw being used which I love ;)

My obvious upgrade path is Mesa 7i73 which I'm eyeing up ;) I think I need to invest in a decent table saw (Or a vertical panel saw like in B&Q) first so I can process the wood into usable pieces.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-12-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Since I'm only working wood/mdf/ply can I leave the spindle at 24000rpm/400hz all the time for now? I haven't connected the vfd to the BOB yet although I put the 12v power to the BOB in place so easy connect.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-12-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread Information