. .

Thread: Earthing?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks Clive.

The 3.1Nm motor would draw a maximum of 4.2A, but we all know that in reality it's probably about half of that anyway.

So a cable of 1mm2 (normally rated for at least 10A) will more than cover this. However, I wonder if there is any benefit in using a thicker cable, other than robustness...or obsession:)

I like the motor covers with the glands. Is this something you printed yourself, or are they readily available for the Nema23 frame? BTW, my Z motor is to the side of the column, just like in your picture.

Edward

I notice that Robocutters do sell similar motor covers

https://robocutters.co.uk/proddetail...CoverKitNema23

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Thanks Clive.

The 3.1Nm motor would draw a maximum of 4.2A, but we all know that in reality it's probably about half of that anyway.

So a cable of 1mm2 (normally rated for at least 10A) will more than cover this. However, I wonder if there is any benefit in using a thicker cable, other than robustness...or obsession:)

I like the motor covers with the glands. Is this something you printed yourself, or are they readily available for the Nema23 frame? BTW, my Z motor is to the side of the column, just like in your picture.

Edward
    I printed these a few years ago but since then I have milled them from various blocks of plastic including those fencing posts made from car tires. If you do a search for hem I have seen them in Europe somewhere

https://www.hardware-cnc.nl/en/winke...nema-23-detail

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:243126
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I wonder if there is any benefit in using a thicker cable, other than robustness...or obsession:)
    Now't wrong with a bit of healthy obsession

Thin cable is fine and dandy if you were lighting a bulb or charging your iPhone with a bit of AC but this cable has more to do than that.

On the other end of it is a hefty inductive load, it may have tuned itself a bit to reduce the peak but sooner or later it is going to want to reverse the current in a coil winding PDQ. It will try to control that current using a chopper circuit which depends on measuring the current flowing some way away. Did you fit the optional braking resistors?

Fat, low resistance cable takes the strain off more expensive components.

I don't have braking resistors.

Here is a pic of my conversion, the Sieg SX2.7 with the drivers, etc waiting to go in a suitable box.

Edward

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	siegSX2.7.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	20372
    Last edited by Edward; 15-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Now't wrong with a bit of healthy obsession

Thin cable is fine and dandy if you were lighting a bulb or charging your iPhone with a bit of AC but this cable has more to do than that.

On the other end of it is a hefty inductive load, it may have tuned itself a bit to reduce the peak but sooner or later it is going to want to reverse the current in a coil winding PDQ. It will try to control that current using a chopper circuit which depends on measuring the current flowing some way away. Did you fit the optional braking resistors?

Fat, low resistance cable takes the strain off more expensive components.
    Robin your talking shite again and confusing people with your ridiculous answers.!. . . If your not going to help people with relavant or helpful replys then why don't you STFU.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 15-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Robin your talking shite again and confusing people with your ridiculous answers.!.
    Hi Dean

I knew you would be along to explain why everyone seems hell bent on screening and tin boxes despite the problems they cause. This is something that has bothered me for some time, a trap I think I have fallen in to myself.

Ready when you are, I am all ears...

Robin

Did you fit the optional braking resistors?
    Robin would you please explain how to fix a braking resistor to the motor in this case
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-01-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Hi Dean

I knew you would be along to explain why everyone seems hell bent on screening and tin boxes despite the problems they cause. This is something that has bothered me for some time, a trap I think I have fallen in to myself.

Ready when you are, I am all ears...

Robin
    Not even going to get into it with you Robin because it's well documented why shielded cable is required. To say it's not needed is like saying this Gun may or may not have bullets put it to your head pull trigger to find out. .

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Robin would you please explaining how to fix a braking resistor to the motor in this case
    You can fit a braking resistor if the driver black box has provision for a braking resistor. A braking resistor dissipates unwanted energy and is one of the reasons a body might chose thicker wiring.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information