. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Here's pic of the mill on its stand... (sorry its so tiny but thats a limit of the forum... Lee - needs fixing soon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warco_MD30_on_stand_small.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	166  

I keep getting a mad urge to drop a few chunky spiral reinforcement rods down inside the column of mine, then top it off with a rich cement mix. The rods are there ready for next time I'm doing concrete.

You have excellent access to plug the bottom of your column and do the same. Could be useful :D

3. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I keep getting a mad urge to drop a few chunky spiral reinforcement rods down inside the column of mine, then top it off with a rich cement mix. The rods are there ready for next time I'm doing concrete.

You have excellent access to plug the bottom of your column and do the same. Could be useful :D
    And the benefit would be??? I'd imagine a modicum of additional stiffness? Kip is looking at a square column conversion for his which sounds interesting. He's apparently talking to an iron foundry, presumably because its too big a casting for him to do...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    And the benefit would be??? I'd imagine a modicum of additional stiffness?
    Ah! You are still at the "this is a chunky looking hunk of iron" stage of your development.
    Bliss

5. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Ah! You are still at the "this is a chunky looking hunk of iron" stage of your development.
    Bliss
    You been trying those big cuts again Robin...
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    You been trying those big cuts again Robin...
    :D
    Big cuts are fine so long as your screws are tight enough to prevent the dig in. You just make it oversize for the big cuts. I'm actually amazed how much metal these mills can hog out without breaking the tool, usually when it throws a wobbly and decides to plough off in some unexpected direction.

The time when you feel the flex is when you're going for that fine finish. It turns a corner, a sympathetic vibration sets in and you start to wonder if another few hundred lbs of metal might not be a really good idea.

I'd also fit backlash free splines in the column if only I could get it apart :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information