. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Depends on your budget.

Ideally you want to go for the highest voltage drivers you can if you plan to upgrade the machine and reuse the electroincs but without blowing the budget. With 3Nm motors you could probably get away with 50v drives and there are some good cheap deals with a 48v PSU and 3 drivers on ebay, the MD542 type drives. Avoid the all-in-one TB type 30v drivers unless you really have a budget issue. They'll work but you'll not get the best out of the motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealieboyee View Post
    I wanted to stick to 8mm to save on buying more bearings lol. I guess I'll go with 12mm then. I think the pitch on 12mm is about 1.5 or so. I've edited my previous post to show what I want to use it for.

Edit: Have you ever thought of using the drawer slide system on a budget?
    Thanks irving. I'll have a look for those. With that info are you able to recommend which electronics I can have a look at?

I see Zapp Automation have a kit using the PM542 drives and Nema 23 motors for about £350. I couldn't find MD542 drives anywhere. Are they the same thing?

I see Zapp Automation have a kit using the PM542 drives and Nema 23 motors for about £350. I couldn't find MD542 drives anywhere. Are they the same thing?
    Yes if you see M542 in the part number it's the same thing.

D.C. mentioned the motors from CNC4You, which are good however their drivers and PSUs are not the cheapest. There are plenty of eBay sellers with good prices for the drivers. For £350 you should be able to get four 3Nm motors, four 80V (e.g. DQ860MA) drivers and a suitable PSU. With a 600mm Y-axis you would be better off with two motors and leadscrews/ballscrews to prevent racking, or one motor and a long belt to link them.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yes if you see M542 in the part number it's the same thing.

D.C. mentioned the motors from CNC4You, which are good however their drivers and PSUs are not the cheapest. There are plenty of eBay sellers with good prices for the drivers. For £350 you should be able to get four 3Nm motors, four 80V (e.g. DQ860MA) drivers and a suitable PSU. With a 600mm Y-axis you would be better off with two motors and leadscrews/ballscrews to prevent racking, or one motor and a long belt to link them.
    Thank you John. Some good stuff there. Don't I need a breakout board too?

Don't I need a breakout board too?
    Strictly speaking no, since the drivers are already opto-isolated the breakout board isn't required. However I would always advise getting one anyway as it just makes it generally easier to connect up everything safely, in particular the inputs.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information