. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Now fuses and MCB’s, where and which?

Although I have these scattered around on the schematic it would be useful to know exactly where they are required and how to calculate the correct size.

I’ll start a list and if you can help complete it please let me know.

Position - Fuse/MCB - Size
    Mains inlet – Fuse - 13A
    Supply to VFD -
    Supply to 70V Power Supply -
    Supply to 24V Power Supply -
    70V supply to Motors -
    Supply to PMDX-126 -
    Contacts R and S on VFD -
    Supply to coolant pump -

Quote Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
    Jim, that's a very nice schematic you've drawn.

I've just been studying it as you're using very similar components to my panel.
    Ah ah that'll be because I recommended same to Jim as I did you Si.!! . . . . I even sent him the diagram I did for you with pretty pictures on it. . .Lol

Dean you brought me back from the dark side, lol.
    Keep it simple is always the best way.

Yup Dean, you know how I like pretty pictures. It's more complicated to draw but really helps me get my head around how things work. Without your help Jim's schematic would have baffled me, thankfully I actually understand it now. And it's only taken me 6 months of reading build logs and countless hours on the phone you you lol. Cheers bud :)

Jim, i've attached a version of my 'schematic' below. I use corelDraw daily at work, so the easiest way for me to plan my wiring and layout was to draw it like this. It looks messy and complicated in the PDF, but it's all drawn using 'layers' so I can switch off/hide individual circuits when i'm working from it.

I've got a few tweaks to make to my wiring yet. Later on this weekend i'll upload the final layout and a photo of my completed panel for comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet layout6.pdf 
Views:	331 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	11786

Thanks needs to go to Dean(JazzCNC), Thomas (Eddycurrent) and Graham (Wobblycogs) for their advice and build logs which helped me get this far!

Si.

ps. Jim if you haven't seen Grahams website with his detailed build log yet (similar components used again) then have a look here : Yeti

5. The Following User Says Thank You to firetrappe For This Useful Post:

Because you are supplying the VFD and 70v PSU via the PILZ relay make sure you put the fuses for them before the PILZ, that way they will also protect the PILZ relay contacts if the fuses are less than 8amps. If the fuses are greater then 8amps then if there is a fault it could wipe out the PILZ contacts as you said they were rated at 8amps max.

Quote Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
    Jim, i've attached a version of my 'schematic' below.
    Strictly speaking that's a 'wiring diagram' but let's not worry about that, it's a good idea using layers, Inkscape would be a free alternative to Corel Draw.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 07-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

As promised earlier here's a photo of my panel and updated wiring diagram.

I've maintained the layers in the PDF. If you open it with Acrobat Reader 6.0 or later and go to View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Layers, then you can turn the layers on/off by clicking on the 'eye' icons next to the layers.

Name:	cabinet layout7.pdf 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	11799

The panel looks quite neat with the covers on the trunking, I left them off for the photo so more of the wiring can be seen.

Name:	Panel Wiring.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	11800

Hope these help someone at some point.

Si.

Si what are those in the door.? They look like Switches.? but what are they controlling.?

Si that looks very good and if i can get mine laid out as well I'd be happy.
    Do you have any fans in the cabinet and are they needed?

Where did get the terminals and isolation switch?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Si what are those in the door.? They look like Switches.? but what are they controlling.?
    Dean, they're just LED lamp holders. One as a 'ac power on' indicator (so I don't forget to switch it off!), the other connected across the NC terminals of the contactor to show when it's not latched on.

Quote Originally Posted by GTJim View Post
    Si that looks very good and if i can get mine laid out as well I'd be happy.
    Do you have any fans in the cabinet and are they needed?
    Thanks Jim. There are 2x 24v fans in the cabinet. One can be seen just below the BOB pulling air in, the other is at the top in the middle pulling air out. I could have got away with just a vent at the top, but as I had 2 fans and a load of filters I thought i'd use them.

The Din rail terminals are these : EK2.5 - Detailed item view - Chalon Components and these : JXB2.5 - Detailed item view - Chalon Components

The isolator switch is this one : Buy Non-Fused Switch Disconnectors 32A 3P Door Interlocked RS LBDI323P online from RS for next day delivery.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information