. .
Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    I'm just trying to persuade them to get a metal bandsaw...plenty of room there to make a mess!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Cleaned it up and fitted the quick release tool holder...what a great but of kit that is!

Done a test turn and quite impressed with it so far. Got to get the DRO reading correctly as it's showing half the actual value so will go through the manual tomorrow and get that sorted.

Tomorrow is setting up the milling machine and tidying up the area.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Last edited by njhussey; 02-06-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

If it reads half value on cross slide, could that be because one turn removes material from both sides if you get my drift? G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    could that be because one turn removes material from both sides if you get my drift? G.
    Yep... most people like to think in diameters not radii when working on a lathe.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Ok, to explain a bit more to see if I'm being thick (most probable) if I move the carriage handle (X axis) from 0 to 0.5 then the DRO shows 0.25. So is the DRO showing the actual amount moved (raduis) and the dial on the handle the amount taken off the piece (diameter)?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Neil...

Build log...here

Got it in one...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I'm used to a lathe where the cross-slide dial is calibrated in actual movement. Baffled the whatsits out of me the first time I used a machine calibrated in "diameter" instead - couldn't work out why I kept going through a measure/cut/measure/oh bugger cycle... Still, if it's anything like my mill with DRO, I can't remember when I actually read anything off a dial!
    Is the lathe metric or imperial, and can you tell me how it manages screw-cutting of the opposite system - is there a 127T gear in there, or somesuch?

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I'm used to a lathe where the cross-slide dial is calibrated in actual movement. Baffled the whatsits out of me the first time I used a machine calibrated in "diameter" instead - couldn't work out why I kept going through a measure/cut/measure/oh bugger cycle... Still, if it's anything like my mill with DRO, I can't remember when I actually read anything off a dial!
    Is the lathe metric or imperial, and can you tell me how it manages screw-cutting of the opposite system - is there a 127T gear in there, or somesuch?
    I'm new to lathes (and milling machines) so still not sure about it all. All I thought was that the DRO would read the same as the handwheel dial, if the handwheel dial is showing diameter change and the DRO is showing raduis thyen all's good, however it looked to the naked eye that the cross slide was moving 1mm when the handwheel said 1mm but the DRO only said 0.5mm! I'lll set the DTI on it this morning and measure just to set my mind at rest.

Not tried screw cutting yet but it can apparently cut both metric (its a metric machine) and Imperial. Yes it has a 127 tooth gear plus a lot of others spare. I'll take some more photos of the gears it comes with and probably do a video of it cutting. Played with the speeds and feeds yesterday and got a nice finish so with more practice and reading up (I've got "The Amature's Lathe" and "Screwcutting in the Lathe" books so time for some bed time reading I think!) I think it's got a 32/85/100 combination currently fitted but not many of the gears are marked up (one more job on the list of things to do!)

Has anyone got any good recomendations for working out speeds and feeds, I'm sure I saw a post somewhere...will have a trawl at lunchtime.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Neil
    My mate Ken has a lathe the same make with DRO, will have a word with him after and see how his reads, one thing i did notice the gearbox/headstock seems noisy on his so he doesn't use it @ high speed.
    Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for that. I'm messing about with the lathe and mill again today (currently cleaning and setting up the mill) so will put the DTI on the cross slide and see what it says with relation to the DRO and scale.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread Information