. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well I did see this and think to try posting and seen has you haven't had any replys I'll give this a Go but probably won't get thru the censors.!

Ok well here goes.!

Have you thought about building your own.? . . . With Your needs of wanting to cut mostly Ali and small parts for RC cars etc then you'll probably be better served with small strong Fixed gantry router type machine with high speed spindle that's more suited to Ali.

Most small mills don't have enough spindle speed/power to cut ali at feed rates for best finish etc. Building a small Fixed gantry machine isn't difficult, esp if your into engineering and tooled up.
    You'll end up with a much better machine custom suited to your needs. And it will cost much less than buying a Mill and converting.

I know you haven't had much response here so far but if you did take the Self build route then others would start chip in with advise thats for sure. If not then contact me directly and I'll glady tell you everything you need know from A to Z. Which your quite welcome to do now if you don't want to DIY build.!

WELL Bugger me senseless it got thru.!! . .
    Thanks for chipping in. I see these routers all over ebay, cheap as dirt, so I've been put right off them. Another turn off is when I read they can only hold a 3mm tool for example. do you suggest I give them a more in depth look?

Building my own, hmmm.....I have 2 motorbikes, 3 rc helicopters, 7 rc cars, a house to do up. I'm not quite sure I have the time right now, although the prospect sounds appealing (depending what mood I'm in).

Thanks for the replies guys, I was starting to think I was on my own there for a while, like the leper kid at school. lol (we never had an actual leper at our school btw)
    RC cars
    RC helicopters
    Motorbikes
    Renovating an entire house
    Twatter: @CrazyLThirteen
    Insta: CrazyLThirteen

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
    Thanks for chipping in. I see these routers all over ebay, cheap as dirt, so I've been put right off them. Another turn off is when I read they can only hold a 3mm tool for example. do you suggest I give them a more in depth look?
    No I suggest you avoid them like a dose of Clap.!!! . . . Only use is for learning on which you clearly don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
    Building my own, hmmm.....I have 2 motorbikes, 3 rc helicopters, 7 rc cars, a house to do up. I'm not quite sure I have the time right now, although the prospect sounds appealing (depending what mood I'm in).
    This is exactly what I suggest you do.!! . . . . I know you'll get a better suited machine to your needs cheaper than converting a small mill that is mostly unsuitable for cutting small parts in Aluminium. If you was looking to cut steel then I'd say yes go with a small mill but not Ali and with relatively small tooling.

A nice small strong fixed Gantry machine like Wal's but with profiled linear rails and nice fast spindle like 2.2Kw ER20 will serve you much better and for fraction the price of decent mill that wil most likely have an unsuitable spindle speed range for Ali.!

If you haven't got time to build one then you probably haven't really got time to convert one because there won't be a lot in it unless you buy a ready made convertion kit.!!
    . . Mechanicly if your tooled up and know how to use them. Prepare well getting all the stuff together before proceeding and settle on design with a plan of attack then you'll build one in same time has stripping, making motor plates and adaptions or mods that most mills require.

Electronics wise there exactly the same amount of work.!!

I am a fan of OpenBuilds.org, I built this machine.
    http://openbuilds.org/builds/c-beam%...te-maker.2020/
    It is rigid enough for Ali(I am assuming this means aluminum) and can be modified to your work envelope needs for a very reasonable price.

I have used a couple of USB style controls for other projects and found that I dislike Mach3 and USB communications.
    So I found Planet CNC MK3 that has Ethernet connection and it works great. The 3D digitizing works great and is easy to setup.

http://www.planet-cnc.com/index.php?page=hardware

I wanted closed loop, which is usually $170-$200 an axis. I found an integrated Hybrid stepper that is closed loop with the drive integrated in the motor, NEMA 23 for $70 each plus $50 shipping for 4 motors.

http://jmcmotion.en.made-in-china.co...23-Ihss57.html

The routers and small DC spindles will not work very well in Ali, so I went with this spindle and VFD setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250788776889...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This spindle is a beast and the 800W version will work also. You will have to make a mount for this spindle because the OpenBuilds mount is 72mm and this spindle is 80mm.

CamBam is a great cam software for the money, and the Planet CNC software has a conversational programing also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information