. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm taking an exception to this post VERY STRONGLY.

I know we all have our own opinions but there is always Pm and Email.

Jonathan has over reached in this case given that he's a moderator and understands the working of this forum.

Zapp is a paying advertiser on this site and for a moderator to post this is wrong. If I were Zapp I'd pull my advertising and demand a refund.

Lee if something isn't done about this then please pull my account or whatever it is called and delete all my posts. I don't want to belong if there are double standards at work.

[PS ] saved this in case it disappears.
    John S -

I disagree with you JohnS.

I would guess that most of any moderator's posts are made as forum-members, same as any of us fellow forum-members, and think it's correct that this forum does not prevent people giving their personal opinions.

Any supplier [forum advertiser or not] gets fair coverage on this forum, and were it necessary would be given the right of reply.

And by the way I would still gladly buy you a breakfast anytime you are in my neck of the woods... or borrow a piece of equipment from you on the never never ...

It could have been more subtle (ok, much more subtle) but this is the same advice that has been given many times over, by many different members about many different products - you can get x cheaper from y. If he had said that "there are a few x suppliers you can consider, including y who are quite reasonably priced" would it be an issue?

If a mod wanted to promote or draw attention to a sponsor, fair enough, but I would be much more concerned if they were afraid to give their opinion or present alternatives. As pointed out, the sponsors can also reply.

I do appreciate that the mods might want to display a touch more diplomacy when discussing sponsors than the rest of us, but objectivity is really important.

While I agree that some of Zapps prices can be expensive Gary helped me loads when I was let down by another supplier out when I was building my machine and I believe he does the same for others. Thats simply good service.
    I do think that Jonathan could have worded it better.

I know some are going to say I'm just jumping on John's band wagon and probably accuse me of bullying again.!!. . . But " Heigh Oh of the site I may go.!!"

Some things should be said and some shouldn't, equally some that say them shouldn't. John's correct Mods have a responsibility to the forum supporters, just has they are quick to jump on members indiscretions in threads.!

I recall a time when folks got banned/chastised for upsetting forum Business members who weren't "supposedly" even Advertisers. . . . . . . . " Over priced pile of crap" . .OR. . ." Yes, Which is why we don't use Zapp". . . . Both could be deemed offensive.

I too hope double standards aren't employed.!!

Edit: Those who have been around long enough will understand the "Over priced pile of crap" ref.!!. . . . . Thou Very much doubt this will get apologised for like I did that.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.

if mods are required to show bias then it follows that the interest of the community is secondry to something else and the word of a mod is to be treated as suspect

if anyone wishes post a response to a quandry i have and they cant give their honest open opinion for whatever reason please dont bother posting at all
    i offer the best i can in reguards to saving time and money for those that are interested, its whats expected

i would expect you to be offended john if i offered a peice of advise to you that didnt include my "best" infomation for some reason

it may have been more tactful to exclude the trade name, however, i disagree that it should have gone to PM as that just flies in the face of what the forum is built on in my opinion.... people helping each other out for no other reason than the joy of helping each other out.
    the conflict of interest is just an uncomfortable truth that we ALL have to live with and you have no grounds to "bagsy" the moral high ground

By all means post alternatives otherwise how do we know they exist but to start a post slagging a main advertiser off by name means the poster has no morals.
    Read Jazz's post above. He made the mistake of saying Routout piles of shit were shit and got banned for it because Routout were advertisers at this time. He wasn't even a God -- sorry Mod
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I agree with John on this.
    The way Jonathan worded it makes it sound as though Zapp should never be used. I'm all for alternatives being suggested, but to say "don't buy from" sounds as though there's some major reason not to use that supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    By all means post alternatives otherwise how do we know they exist but to start a post slagging a main advertiser off by name means the poster has no morals.
    Read Jazz's post above. He made the mistake of saying Routout piles of shit were shit and got banned for it because Routout were advertisers at this time. He wasn't even a God -- sorry Mod
    it may be subjective: the way I see it, it doesn't qualify as a "slagging off"

the reason I don't use said supplier if I can help it is...... price, so i would be one of those included in the "reason WE don't"
    besides that i'm guessing plenty of us have spent money where needs must :)

the ONLY reason i show any reverence to said supplier is he is an active contributor on the "forum" the same as everyone else

I'm all for alternatives being suggested, but to say "don't buy from"
    that's stretching it a tad.... what would you have us say ?
    "buy from linearmotionbearings because he is cheaper than our honourable friend"?
    or should we say
    "don't buy from our honourable friend because he is more expensive" LOL

ill assume you would have me save you money MC.... please correct me if im wrong :)

By all means put a link on the Linear motion bearings or whoever you want to highlight but no need to say A is better than B.

Anyway I'm obviously wrong on this - sorry, I must be just too old fashioned.......................
    John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information