. .
    Hi, I'm a 43 yr old spanish guy from Alicante. I've been lurking the site for quite a while now, i'm impressed with your builds and the skills and know how shown by most of you.

I've been working in the shoe mold making industry for over 17 years and i always wanted to build a strong machine capable of milling aluminium and other metals. (quite a daunting task for someone who isn't experienced, knows virtually nothing of electronics, has a tight budget, and has poor equipment and tools.

After spending almost a year building my shed (mancave) in my spare time, i've finally decided to start my project about a month ago. My intention was copying this build from an american guy:

https://www.wadeodesign.com.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443367991.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	25043

looking for a base, i came across with an aerotech gantry, similar to this one for 500Eur.

Name:	ags.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	927.7 KB 
ID:	25042

So I'm afraid it will be a conversion instead.

The machine is in good mechanical condition, It's made up of steel, it's equiped with amazing linear guides, magnetic linear servos and glass renishaw encoders,(I couldn't tell you wether they work or not, the machine is wired but there aren't cards, control, computer or drivers. Just what you see in the pic (only the base is a steel one, and there's just one servo on y axis)).

I'll give you more details and tell you more on next posts. Any help will be welcome.

Best regards

JM
    Last edited by Guentero; 08-11-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Welcome to the forum Guentero.

It looks to me like you came across quite a good bargain there!

The best thing to do is create a build thread for your conversion to keep all your queries together to help other members help you.

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi Andy.

Thank you for your welcome and for telling me the right place to start posting.

Yeah, we can say i found a nice bargain that saved me a lot of work, but there are still some challenges to face in order to pull chips out of it I'll keep you informed on my progress there.

Regards

JM

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guentero View Post
    Hi, I'm a 43 yr old spanish guy from Alicante. I've been lurking the site for quite a while now, i'm impressed with your builds and the skills and know how shown by most of you.

I've been working in the shoe mold making industry for over 17 years and i always wanted to build a strong machine capable of milling aluminium and other metals. (quite a daunting task for someone who isn't experienced, knows virtually nothing of electronics, has a tight budget, and has poor equipment and tools.

After spending almost a year building my shed (mancave) in my spare time, i've finally decided to start my project about a month ago. My intention was copying this build from an american guy:

https://www.wadeodesign.com.

Name:	1443367991.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	25043

looking for a base, i came across with an aerotech gantry, similar to this one for 500Eur.

Name:	ags.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	927.7 KB 
ID:	25042

So I'm afraid it will be a conversion instead.

The machine is in good mechanical condition, It's made up of steel, it's equiped with amazing linear guides, magnetic linear servos and glass renishaw encoders,(I couldn't tell you wether they work or not, the machine is wired but there aren't cards, control, computer or drivers. Just what you see in the pic (only the base is a steel one, and there's just one servo on y axis)).

I'll give you more details and tell you more on next posts. Any help will be welcome.

Best regards

JM
    Lovely. I looked for stuff like this before I started to build Thor. Maybe I need to start to look for more of this, keen to make more machines.

Guentero ..
    bienvenido al foro.
    Soy Finlandes pero vivo en Barcelona.

You can contact offline for hints on where to buy stuff in Spain, good and cheap, industrially.
    Like F1 calibrado steel, is flat straight and cheap.
    Ask Bronces Val near barcelona for their nearest supply option for you.
    Paint, epoxy (Feroca), etc.

Linear guides, blocks, stuff.

Thread Information