. .

Thread: Denford Triac

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1966 View Post
    The problem with the UK is that will import duties etc the price would probably triple! The UK is such a rip off. Then you'd have to convert to mach 3.
    Import duty does not apply within the EU.

Probably be cheaper to move to Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Import duty does not apply within the EU.
    It may well not - however the UK will manage to extract the money out of you another way. e.g. VAT

Greece is in the EU, you will not pay any VAT or import duties.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo1966 View Post
    It may well not - however the UK will manage to extract the money out of you another way. e.g. VAT
    Do you think other countries don't have import duties or some form of VAT?

Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    [QUOTE=m_c;50228]Do you think other countries don't have import duties or some form of VAT?[/QUOTE

...Please allow me to add some thoughts here.
    Value Added Tax it is right? So someone buys raw material like brass for example-useless at this form- then machines the brass and makes brass gears and finally sells these at three times the price he paid for the raw material. He added value to that metal and in this case the buyer not him has to pay the VAT because he bought a brand new item.
    This is a realy old machine and the VAT has been paid already by the first owner/buyer. Who says the new buyer has to pay again VAT?
    And this is the reason why European Union by low makes clear that second hand goods buyers within the EU countries do not pay VAT. I just disregard the code number of this partcular law. Just go to a EU official representative and ask for an abstract to show to the customs when the machine arrives.
    Last edited by asto; 07-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.

This is a realy old machine and the VAT has been paid already by the first owner/buyer. Who says the new buyer has to pay again VAT?
    The ripoff UK government.

If you are not vat registered then you do pay vat again. Just because something is old it doesn't make it VAT exempt. If I bought a Picasso I'd have to pay vat and that would be a lot older than a modern milling machine. If I was VAT registered then I could claim the VAT back.

Take a look on e b a y UK a lot of the bigger lathes on there are second hand but the prices are quoted at plus VAT.
    Last edited by Nemo1966; 07-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Asto, I'm very well aware of how VAT works, I was just highlighting that VAT and import duties aren't unique to the UK.

Lives in Attica, Greece. Last Activity: 29-12-2019 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 65.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Asto, I'm very well aware of how VAT works, I was just highlighting that VAT and import duties aren't unique to the UK.
    Sorry about that. Of course everyone knows about VAT.
    But I did not mean it this way

regards

Hi Astro,

I'd please like to know if you still have the Triac as I'd like to buy it from you.
    I'm planning on doing a Mach3/Linux CNC conversion
    Thank you,

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information