. .
    I have a 3040T with a movable gantry and 800w VFD. The machine was described as large in Amazon and I am quite happy with all but the less than rigid extruded aluminium table which just vibrates too much. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to machine some aluminium but mainly wood and plastic i.e. Acrylic/HDPE of upto 200mm square by 40mm thick. Use of a spoil board is not necessarily important.

I've seen this link https://mbcreates.com/cnc-router/cnc...e-bed-upgrade/ my machine is very similar but I think just a smaller scale, without Linear rails and the 2.2kw VFD.

I consider my options are below as I have no access to any other engineering machinery although I was a semi-skilled engineer/toolmaker/machinist for 18 years up to 14 years ago when I changed career:

1. Get a piece of Aluminuim 30mm thick cast tooling plate cut to the size of the table and bolt it down to the useless extrusion or the frame
    2. Get a piece of steel plate, mount that to the frame and then mount either a T-Slot board from Vacuum tables or a piece of thinner aluminium tooling plate
    3. Get a piece of steel t-slot plate and mount it direct to the frame.

I know I am never going to improve the machine greatly but I also have the problem that I live in a flat with no external building suitable for use with anything bigger. I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by davitc View Post
    I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.
    You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.
    Thanks @JAZZCNC

It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.

I made an enclosure for it already with some 8mm thick poly-carbonate doors and removable side panels, PC cooling system for the VFD, LED work lamps off amazon and even a solenoid controlled valve for the misting system, it's been a nice project so far :-)

I will prob look at having both M8 and M6 tapped holes and maybe some holes for location pins, oh my it may resemble a tea bag by the time I'm finished :-)

Quote Originally Posted by davitc View Post
    It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.
    To be honest 20mm will be strong enough here's a little machine I built few years ago that uses a 20mm tooling plate and it's plenty strong enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0588.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	27082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0797.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	27083

You could even thread mill the holes using the machine!

Thread Information