. .
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Did you drop some loctite in the gap before closing?
    Because if it gets the faintest jiggle it will never close that sweetly again :nope:

Good idea, but then I'd have had to clean off the RTD and I was rather enjoying putting it together :naughty:

If I take it off I promise to Loctite it
    Kip, I don't know how it compares to driving the handwheel because I've never tried that. If I had to guess I'd probably plump somewhere between amazing and freakin' miraculous

Curious.

I wound up the feed rate on that hybrid stepper and it would do 18mm/s but clacked out at 20 mm/s

I disconnected the Y axis to get some spare Amps then switched the hybrid peak current from 1.9A to 4.2A peak.

Wouldn't do 18 mm/s anymore :nope:

Possibilities...

The cable on the Z is altogether too long and it's having problems controlling the current.

The stepper driver can't actually cope when you increase the current.

I imagined it :heehee:

So, any ideas what driver/PSU combination I need to shop for?

However, 18mm/s is a lot better than I had before so I made new plates to fit them on the X and Y. Stuck a fanciful strain relief bracket on the X so I can bolt the flexy trunking to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mz.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	555  

Speed is a factor of voltage, not amperage, try it at 440 volts and see how fast it goes.
    John S -

Hi Kip

The cable goes from the front of the cabinet, out the back, up by the column and then forward again.

I'm using the MSD542 driver at 40 Volts.

18mm/s is top whack, would never dare run it at top whack, 10-12mm/s is probably credible for the G00 though.

It's a bit cluttered at the top, but I could probably mount a driver and PSU within 6-10" of the motor if I had to :naughty:

Robin

5. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Hi Kip

The cable goes from the front of the cabinet, out the back, up by the column and then forward again.

I'm using the MSD542 driver at 40 Volts.

18mm/s is top whack, would never dare run it at top whack, 10-12mm/s is probably credible for the G00 though.

It's a bit cluttered at the top, but I could probably mount a driver and PSU within 6-10" of the motor if I had to :naughty:

Robin
    As John said, speed is a factor of voltage and, I'll add, inductance of the motor. Higher inductance, lower voltage = lower speed. Also remember torque, speed and power are related. So it may well be that these motors running at that voltage simply can't produce enough torque to operate reliably at a higher speed. Can you get higher revs (step rate) off load under the same conditions?

Cable length is going to make little difference unless its so thin as to be dropping considerable volts.

What size/spec of motor are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    As John said, speed is a factor of voltage and, I'll add, inductance of the motor... What size/spec of motor are you running?
    Yes, but the question is...

Why did the max speed decrease when I doubled the Amperes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mza.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	564  

7. Did you saturate the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Did you saturate the motor?

Possibly right

I'm sitting looking at the motor spec sheet and it shows parallel as 4.2A/phase, but series as only 3A per pair. Sounds illogical

If I knew what "hybrid" meant it could explain it...

...perhaps

9. That motor is 4.2A in unipolar and 3A in series and 6A in parallel.
    If you are connecting it is parallel and only giving it 4.2A, you are under powering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Possibly right

I'm sitting looking at the motor spec sheet and it shows parallel as 4.2A/phase, but series as only 3A per pair. Sounds illogical

If I knew what "hybrid" meant it could explain it...

...perhaps

10. If I knew what "hybrid" meant it could explain it...
    As I understand it, Hybrid motors have a magnetised rotor as opposed to the soft iron cores used in earlier types.
    If you are connecting it is parallel and only giving it 4.2A, you are under powering it.
    That makes it very unlikely to be motor saturation :(

I wonder if it's a resonance (force/mass) issue - extra current = extra force. Might be worth trying a mass damper on the motor (i.e. I would stick a large/heavy washer to the motor pulley with a bit of double sided tape and re-test)

[edit] ISTR you have a spare pulley, try sticking that on top of the existing one (use DS tape or blu-tack something with a bit of 'give')
    Last edited by BillTodd; 06-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information