. .
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Ok, problems getting a cooling system for the spindle to work.

The chiller I got from AndrewMawson is way too powerful and it blows the piping off when it starts up. So unless I get some form of bypass valve or control valve, its not going to work.

I tried a few pumps from Amazon, typically used for fish tanks, they are all too weak. Looking at PC water cooling kits but they are pricy. Can anyone suggest a pump that will work with 6mm piping?

Thanks
    should be fine I'm using standard fish tank pump with a 13mm reducer the main thing is the head height and you have 2.5m which should be more than enough.

The chiller does it have it's own pump?
    Last edited by Desertboy; 03-07-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

So Ive ordered this after reading a few posts. Looks like the other one I tried was not up to the required spec.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    A few have used these and they prove more than up to the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371128026468, you dont need to go mad trying to cool these spindles down, they are quite efficient and shouldn't really get hot.
    .Me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Hour Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    should be fine I'm using standard fish tank pump with a 13mm reducer the main thing is the head height and you have 2.5m which should be more than enough.

The chiller does it have it's own pump?
    Ye, and its much too powerful. I made an adaptor to go from 12mm to 5mm and it blew it off immediately. The chiller is more powerful than most coolant pumps ive seen at full whack :-) Theres an idea ...

Simple bypass from output to input - just a tap that can be opened gradually and you can set the pressure exactly as you want it. This was standard practice on the main Grundfos 3 kW pumps that circulated water in my Launderettes when I had them - simple gate valve and in that case a pressure gauge. High enough to fill a washing machine PDQ, but not high enough to bust the flexible hoses !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewMawson For This Useful Post:

I would add a 2nd pump to circulate through the spindle then hook the chiller to a thermostat like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two-Relay-Output-LED-font-b-Digital-b-font-Temperature-Controller-font-b-Thermostat-b-font.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	22061

A pond style water pump will work fine I have a box of 20 of them I can send you one for free if you want and will use less electricity than the pump in the chiller.

With a reasonable size res of 20l's the chiller will only need to run a few minutes in an hour and I bet that water pump in the chiller uses quite a bit of juice.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 04-07-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Hour Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I would add a 2nd pump to circulate through the spindle then hook the chiller to a thermostat like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two-Relay-Output-LED-font-b-Digital-b-font-Temperature-Controller-font-b-Thermostat-b-font.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	22061

A pond style water pump will work fine I have a box of 20 of them I can send you one for free if you want and will use less electricity than the pump in the chiller.

With a reasonable size res of 20l's the chiller will only need to run a few minutes in an hour.
    Thanks, appreciated however have bought one already. Will test it tonight and see how it runs.

What size pipe do people use? 6mm OD?

I managed to get a lot more powerful pump, pushes a good amount of water but when I connect up my plumbing, it struggles to flow. I have turned an adaptor to go from 1/2 to 1/4 inch (roughly) but the hole might be too restrictive.

Should I move up to 8mm piping?

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

8mm ordered anyways to check. I'm not sure how free flowing the water should be through the spindle, I went as far as removing the pipes and I get a slow flow, so I dont think its that.

8mm ordered anyways to check. I'm not sure how free flowing the water should be through the spindle, I went as far as removing the pipes and I get a slow flow, so I dont think its that.
    I have known the spindle fittings to be blocked when they seal the top bit on. Take off the tubing and poke a small screw driver down the hole to see if it is restricted about 25mm down. I only use a 2 ltr tank and a very small fish tank pump around £3
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I have known the spindle fittings to be blocked when they seal the top bit on. Take off the tubing and poke a small screw driver down the hole to see if it is restricted about 25mm down. I only use a 2 ltr tank and a very small fish tank pump around £3
    Thanks. I did think of that - I tried to blow into it but a bit limited in terms of space. The black grommit things were removed, wasnt sure if there could be anything else blocking.

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread Information