. .

Thread: Another Newbie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ah coolant, I hadn't thought of that.

I guess that means I could't have any board involved.
    I had thought I might clamp the working sheet to a sacrificial piece of board.

Mmmm, there is always something

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    Ah coolant, I hadn't thought of that.

I guess that means I could't have any board involved.
    I had thought I might clamp the working sheet to a sacrificial piece of board.

Mmmm, there is always something
    Not a problem just use plastic sacrifical board, hdpe is what I use very flat and stable? . . .BUT a far bigger problem you will have with small items like this is the actual clamping and holding.? Unless they have holes for screwing or clamping thru then it's a night mare holding small items for profiling.!
    The thinner the material the worse the problem, I often spend more time making holding fixtures, jigs or repositioning clamps etc than the actual parts take to machine. IE: Recently machined some small Brass items and the total Job time was 30 minutes per 4 buckles the machining time was 17mins the rest was made up having to swap clamp positions without disturbing position and 1 tool change(2mins max).

I can see myself trying this sort of job... Would tabs solve the problem Jazz??

I wonder if some kind of picture frame might work.
    Slide the sheet in, make the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I can see myself trying this sort of job... Would tabs solve the problem Jazz??
    Yes they work for some jobs but not all and with really thin material or small parts then there's not much left for the tab and they break or let the part lift.

On small parts I often leave a thin skin 0.1-0.2mm and don't actually cut right thru so it's kind of like a one big tab then just clean up with de-burr tool or quick blast across the sander and the skins gone, tabs on small parts don't really work very well.!

I wonder if some kind of picture frame might work.
    Slide the sheet in, make the cuts.
    Chris the problem comes from when you do the profile or outside cut thru the material, if not held down it will get grabbed or flung by the cutting tool. No sicker feeling than seeing a beautiful part which took 2 hours machine time come to life only to get chewed up and spit out in 2secs.!!

Clamping is probably one of the most un-thought about and time consuming things in DIY CNC.!! Unfortunatly the smaller the parts or thinner the material the worse the issue the more the need to get a good system in place.
    If you have any thoughts to make multple identical parts then it's often worth taking the time to make a dedicated Jigs.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes they work for some jobs but not all and with really thin material or small parts then there's not much left for the tab and they break or let the part lift.

On small parts I often leave a thin skin 0.1-0.2mm and don't actually cut right thru so it's kind of like a one big tab then just clean up with de-burr tool or quick blast across the sander and the skins gone, tabs on small parts don't really work very well.!

Thanks Jazz, I was thinking, using the OP question as the example, leaving 4 tabs of completely uncut material... then cutting through them with a fret saw, but yes, take your point.

Anyone got a comment on this machine.

Seems to tick a lot of boxes for me.

There's a similar thread running here that you might find useful;

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    There's a similar thread running here that you might find useful;
    You forgot to mention depressing :-)

Seems too many folks have electrical problems Grrr

You forgot to mention depressing :-)

Seems too many folks have electrical problems Grrr
    lol, What's that axiom? "If you want something doing properly..."?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information