. .
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I doesn't really matter if the machine is not level on the floor as the epoxy will level out like pouring water into a channel it will find it's own level.
    Just make sure that if you're floor isn't level, it stays that way as if you move the machine the frame will distort slightly and in turn distort the epoxy slightly. That's why it's best to pour the epoxy with (ideally) all the machine mounting points (feet?) at the same height, so if you move the machine you can set them to the same height and be fairly confident of little movement in the frame.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

jonathon you have confused me there lol :) if the floor aint level it means adjusting the feet so all 6 feet could all be at different heights depending on how bad the floor is. so when you say if the floor aint level it stays that way do you mean to have the machine to just be as level as the floor and leave the epoxy to do its job or did you mean what my badly made drawing shows lol.

sorry if im being a little dumb here.

cheers

ash

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	15939  

id recommend caulk instead of silicone ... much easier to clean off

i tack welded 3mm flat bar for the epoxy bath , was super fast and simple to do with a tig welder

Your diagram is how I meant. You ideally want to make sure the frame sits such that there is no stress on it - e.g. in your drawing there are 6 feet and imagine the middle four were unscrewed so the frame isn't supported. The frame would then sag in the middle. If you poured the epoxy in this state, you would still get a nice flat surface, but if you change how the frame is mounted (e.g. adjust the feet, move it, add more feet etc), the frame will distort slightly and cause the epoxy to no longer be flat.
    We're not talking much here - clearly the frame is quite rigid so wont flex much, but it's still something fairly easy to take account of which may help.

ok thanks jonathan, so basically before using epoxy make sure the machine is in its final place and all 6 legs are leveled and in there permanent position?

cheers

ash

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    ok thanks jonathan, so basically before using epoxy make sure the machine is in its final place and all 6 legs are leveled and in there permanent position?

cheers

ash
    At last
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

clive i got an e in english 13 years ago i need to read a hundred times to your once lol :P

clive i got an e in english 13 years ago i need to read a hundred times to your once lol :P
    Not much worse than my C, 7 years ago!
    Just spotted you're also in Nottingham - next time quicker to explain in person perhaps...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 24-08-2015 at 09:52 PM.

yes mate bulwell end :)

yes mate bulwell end :)
    Hmm, on second thoughts...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulwell.png 
Views:	1127 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	15940  

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information