. .
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    2 Jobs tested and in production :) 2nd one much less stress ;)

2010 screen-set, tool change routine...

On this job I did exactly the same as before but the first cutter seems to have run about 0.2mm lower than it should, made a bit more mess out of my bed but i'm not worried about that as it's buggered anyway ;)

The next two tool changes worked perfectly and did not gouge the bed.

Anything that can cause this?

I have verified the code and all parts are cut to the same depth.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Human error or the tool slipped in the collet
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Vaguely possible but why only slip 0.2mm and not just keep going as usual?

The second and third tools were spot-on which indicates the initial height sense was good, i think.

If it did slip the torque from cutting and centrifual forces or heat generated in the tool could have locked it tight again.

One plus for leaving my cast iron bed for later use if I feck up a bit of MDF or even some Aluminium extrusion I won't be to upset but I don't want to replace a 1000x700x50mm cast plate that has been ground
    Last edited by lucan07; 08-04-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Yeah i also have a cast iron bed but its only ever for use as a sub-bed, the part that has been mauled is only 15mm Eco-cast plate so i'm not bothered too much, will likely end up taking a skim off it anyway.

Only reason I didn't use mine is I don't like shredded wheat enough to eat three, or the fact that after having it ground flat advised to leave it on steel base, either part I could find a couple of mates and man handle up a flight of stairs into my flat but together they're almost 0.4 of a ton and can wait until I move again and have my workshop at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    2 Jobs tested and in production :) 2nd one much less stress ;)

2010 screen-set, tool change routine...

On this job I did exactly the same as before but the first cutter seems to have run about 0.2mm lower than it should, made a bit more mess out of my bed but i'm not worried about that as it's buggered anyway ;)

The next two tool changes worked perfectly and did not gouge the bed.

Didn't you have this issue before?
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Didn't you have this issue before?
    That was when the coolant stopped and the cutter loaded up, i was also pushing much hared back then as the feeds/speeds were off.

This job was only 3mm aluminium, I was taking a full depth cut though. Odd that it was only the first cutter, which went back in later to do a final full depth pass around the edge.

I will have a look at the shank and see if there are any skid marks.

Also have another to make today.

Next run went fine, apart from a boo-boo ;(

I've seen this behaviour before on the plasma table - something goes wrong, you press stop on the Mach screen, I know your supposed to press feed-hold but i wanted something between e-stop and feed-hold as the coolant failed to come on (duff relay) so i knew it would load up and break and so pressed stop.

Fixed the issue, wound the code back to the last M05 stop and set next line.

Pressed cycle start and the cutter goes down where it is and shoots off to X+ at cut speed, snapping the tool off. It should have gone back to where it started last time and re-cut the partial slot and then finished normally.

Looking at the DRO's the X machine position is off by 226mm which i think is the setting that it was stopped at so now the cut start was not X5 as it should be but X-221 or something like that.

As i said, this has happened on the plasma and as here, the only way back is scrap the part, re-home and start again. I failed to note the X/Y positions for job location so i couldn't reset it and try again.

Some sequence of events throws Mach positions into a tizzy and it shits the bed. On the plasma no harm usually but on the mill = broken tool :(

Oh well, the next part finished perfectly, no bed gouging, if anything it was running too high now - the material miked up at 2.91mm, i programmed the cuts to 2.90mm and there was still a good skin left at the base. Something seems a little variable on height setting possibly?
    Last edited by Davek0974; 09-04-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Any time you press Stop, you MUST re-home the machine before doing anything else.
    And I'd highly recommend using Run From Here, unless you know exactly what state mach3 is in when you use Set Next Line.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information