. .
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    A bleed resistor might be useful while you are testing, but once you have a driver or two wired to the power supply, they look like a waste of time. When I checked my machine, the stepper driver power supply was down to a few volts within seconds of cutting power. Any resistor that drains down faster than that is going to need to be a fairly high wattage item, and is going to produce more heat than you probably want in the control box.
    Provided that the drivers are energising the stepper coils, and are connected, and that there are no failures in the system, and that there is no e-stop isolation.

I'll spend the £1 extra on any >50VDC PSU. Pays your money, takes your choice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

I know on the AM882 when you kill power the LED's flash for ~3-4 seconds extra then when you test the capacitors they drop to a few volts. Same with the VFD so I assume that has a load of capacitors as well, also if you notice PC's do the same thing.

I think it was joe's build where he used a resistor to drain the capacitors which I was going to do but given the AM882's drain them anyway I figured it wasn't a major issue.

I've been shocked with 240v a few times over the years lol but the worst shock I ever got was from a Playstation 2 PSU for several days afterwards I felt in physical shock, last shock was direct from the board lol we have old school fuse holders at work for each phase and one of the fuse holders was missing the screw caps so when I pushed the fuse into the board I was touching the screws than was fun ;)

Oddly enough I went through every fuse holder and chucked the ones missing the caps after that.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Desertboy For This Useful Post:

I am starting to flirt with the idea of UC300eth and UB1 any opinions and ideas from where to buy are welcome.

I recently purchased my UC300eth and UB1 combo from CNCRoom and UCCNC software from CNCdrive! Its a smaller world nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Krammer002 View Post
    I recently purchased my UC300eth and UB1 combo from CNCRoom and UCCNC software from CNCdrive! Its a smaller world nowadays...
    Thank you for the reply, have you give it a try yet?

It'll be a while before I'm ready to deploy the control system fully, but I will be bench testing in the near future...
    I've also purchased the 2017 screenset from Gerry - CNCwoodworker . with a view to creating my own screenset in due course!
    Last edited by Krammer002; 16-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krammer002 For This Useful Post:

Very nice - I need to do a proper power supply at some point too.

Good work!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    Very nice - I need to do a proper power supply at some point too.

Good work!
    Thanks, I am sure you wont have problem to build it!

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    In my case it would be good to get back to where I started - spent the afternoon reassembling my lathe and getting the safety switches operating reliably. Then reinstalled the VFD (when I took it out months ago to fix the broken mounting lugs, I photographed the connections and labelled them as I disconnected each one). Now I am getting a code that says low DC bus. I sense a new thread coming if I can't sort it easily.
    You find things out which are peripheral to the problem - code Lv on the VFD display only means Low DC bus and this is OK when the power is running down.

But I have diagnosed the problem - I reassembled with the microswitch that is for the headstock gear train safety cover swapped with the chuck guard switch (one is NC and the other NO). So my next session in the workshop will fix that and the covers will go back on. Job done ! No need for a new thread
    Last edited by cropwell; 17-04-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Those are good news cropwell, an easy fix is always preferable than something that will cause headache or need money to be fixed,right? ;-)
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 18-04-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information