. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. Would it also be possible to lower the spindle speed and feed rate to keep the same depth of cut (and keep the correct chipload)?
    Yes to an extent, but bear in mind the available spindle power drops with speed so if you go too low the spindle may stall, hence it's safer to advise keeping the spindle speed near the calculated value.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yes to an extent, but bear in mind the available spindle power drops with speed so if you go too low the spindle may stall, hence it's safer to advise keeping the spindle speed near the calculated value.
    I see - Thanks for that.

Another question if I may - I noticed that after the circle profile cut it was uneven in a couple of places. It seems to be on the Y axis and from what I have read I think it may be backlash in that axis, does that sound right? one side of the circle it was very obvious, a slight jut out from the circle, the opposite side not so much - I wish I measured it now but I gave it to my Dad for fathers day!

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    I noticed that after the circle profile cut it was uneven in a couple of places. It seems to be on the Y axis and from what I have read I think it may be backlash in that axis, does that sound right? one side of the circle it was very obvious, a slight jut out from the circle, the opposite side not so much
    Backlash can cause the effect you describe. It could be something else, like a slightly loose pulley/coupling, but that seems less likely since the rest of the part isn't all over the place. If you're machine is driven by ballscrews then you're unlikely to notice their backlash on wood, since it's very small (<0.05mm). That's not the case if you've used ACME or threaded rod...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Backlash can cause the effect you describe. It could be something else, like a slightly loose pulley/coupling, but that seems less likely since the rest of the part isn't all over the place. If you're machine is driven by ballscrews then you're unlikely to notice their backlash on wood, since it's very small (<0.05mm). That's not the case if you've used ACME or threaded rod...
    That's a worry then as I do have ballscrews! Just got a dial gauge so i will check later and report back :)

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information