. .
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    No need to have the motor connected. I usually only connect the motor once i have programmed the drive and tested the "settings". Most important thing is to make sure you have the motor connected properly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ericks For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 50 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    Hi - Guys
    Just setup the wiring for standard Huanyang 2 .2 spindle and VFD.
    About to sort settings for VFD. Some info suggests not to power up the VFD without the spindle connected.
    Which is correct please. With spindle connected or without.
    really dont need to smoke anything at this stage!!
    There is no problem with starting the VFD with the spindle disconnected .BUT don't ever disconnect the spindle with the VFD running.

Always make sure you fasten (clamp) the spindle cable to a fixed point so that the plug does not move, as a bad connection in the plug or a spark WILL give you a fright and release some money from your wallet
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Another thing to remember is to use the correct cable between the drive and motor. I just repaired a machine where the original builder used microphone cable (2.2 Kw Hy water cooled spindle)...besides the fact it's not rated for the voltage imagine the under size re current!!! If you can't confirm the voltage rating of the cable then just don't use it :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ericks For This Useful Post:

Happened to document it....note also the soldering Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conn1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	26802

All up and running. Thank you gentlemen.

One more ask :- How do I connect the 12v water pump to the VFD please.

Hi Leadhead

These are the 2 options I thought about

1) Don't bother and have a separate connection for you water pump. Switch it on manually before starting the CNC/VFD. This is what I have done
    2) Or operate it through the break-out board on your cnc controller using a relay. You would then issue some Gcode to start the pump before the spindle start Gcode

Hope this helps
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Leadhead

These are the 2 options I thought about

1) Don't bother and have a separate connection for you water pump. Switch it on manually before starting the CNC/VFD. This is what I have done
    2) Or operate it through the break-out board on your cnc controller using a relay. You would then issue some Gcode to start the pump before the spindle start Gcode

Hope this helps
    Mike
    No need to do either of those as it's very easy to let the VFD operate it.

There is relay built into the VFD which can be set up to turn on/off when spindle spins. By default it's set to operate when a fault occurs but with few parameter changes can be set
    for on/off.

The relay connections are FB & FC just feed either the positive or Negative of the power going to pump through these terminals.
    Then change parameter for these relays to work when Fwd is pressed, I think the parameter is PD52 or 53 but not got the manual in front of me so I can not check.

The relay then just becomes a switch to the pump.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Hi Jazz
    As always the font of wisdom for us newbies. I forgot about these ports on the VFD. I was thinking about these to enhance my safety system by getting the relay ( based on your wonderful simple design emergency stop setup) to signal the VFD to stop when the safety button switch is operated.

Cheers
    Mike

I'm thinking of adding a slight enhancement to the "pump switched by VFD" thing by sticking a flow sensor in the return line to the reservoir driving a relay. It's then pretty easy to sound an alarm if the pump is energised but insufficient water's flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Jazz
    As always the font of wisdom for us newbies. I forgot about these ports on the VFD. I was thinking about these to enhance my safety system by getting the relay ( based on your wonderful simple design emergency stop setup) to signal the VFD to stop when the safety button switch is operated.

Cheers
    Mike
    Yep, that would work and there are various ways it can be done, to be honest. The controller or Bob your using will also play some part in which approach to use.

If I'm using a controller that doesn't have relays built into it then I control a relay for on/off using an Output. I then use this relay to turn the water pump on as well.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information