. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi there, first post...

I'm considering buying a used AXYZ 6010 to replace my current Chinese router. I've looked at one and it looks really solidly made, the seller's staff say it's been totally reliable, but as with any used machine, I expect if I buy it something will need replacing sooner or later.
    AXYZ UK say they don't have parts books and the list of parts on their website seems limited. They told me they consider this obsolete, which is a bit disconcerting as it's only been superseded in the last few years.

Does anyone know where I can get a parts book or repair manual from?
    Are parts available from anywhere other than AZYZ?

Are there any other machines I should consider which are equally well-made but possibly easier to maintain and repair?

Thanks in advance!

I personally haven't worked on or converted any AXYZ routers but I have a friend who has done several conversions and they are very overrated and ridiculously overpriced and he doesn't rate them at all.!

However, they are easy enough to retrofit to a modern motion controller which is what commonly fails, the rest of the components like motors and drives can also be swapped out with modern units. So if they go down on you you are not stuck with a lump of scrap iron, well aluminium mostly in this case as they use bespoke aluminium profiles for a lot of the frame, unlike some of the more industrial routers like Biesse etc, which use bespoke electronics and components with heavy lumps of steel frames.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

I have a modest amount of experience with an AXYZ machine and can agree that they are OK,but perhaps a little short of wonderful in some respects. A lot depends on the age of the machine as they were using a controller that would only accept a file name of less than eight characters until well into this century and this was a feature of lots of computers until Windows 95 came along.So you might conclude that keeping the software up to date wasn't a top priority for them as long as the machines did the job. Having seen the machine with the covers off, I was a little surprised by the modest size of the steppers although later machines ,I believe graduated to servos. The frame and gantry would be a decent basis for an upgrade project,but you probably want to be producing and not playing with nuts and bolts and re-calibrating.Which gets more challenging if you have to develop tool changing routines.

The cynic in me wonders whether AXYZ might just happen to have a trade in machine that they could have done a modest upgrade on and which might be better suited to a spell of factory support.It certainly seems that asking them about long term support might be a revealing question for a prospective purchaser to pose.

Thanks for your comments. The frame and gantry of the AZYZ 6010 (which I believe was their most heavy-duty model at the time) struck me as very solid and well made, top class welding and finish, far superior to comparable Chinese-made machines I've looked at.

My concern is that AXYZ don't seem very interested in providing long-term support (possibly due to recent change of ownership?) which isn't a major problem if there are alternative sources of parts and expertise available.

Do you happen to know if the parts likely to fail soonest (motors? rails? bearing blocks? racks and pinions? drive belts? motion controllers?) are generic or manufacturer-specific? And if there are alternative parts sources in the UK for these?

Thanks for your reply.

Do you happen to know which motion controllers, motors, drives, etc. would be suitable replacements for the AXYZ machines?
    And do you know of a good supplier in the UK for these parts?

Without knowing the exact configuration of the machine and its age,the questions are difficult to answer.I don't suppose AXYZ manufactured every single component,in fact I would feel sure they bought in most of the components and assembled the collection of parts.Which probably means that if you can identify them,you ought to be able to buy them without a mark-up added.I would doubt that any machine from the last twenty years wouldn't have induction hardened rails although you might have to source ball bearings from your tame bearing stockist.Steppers and toothed belts are hardly scarce commodities and I would be a little surprised if they don't feature the very common 200 steps per rotation.The manual is very thorough and will very likely contain a page telling you how many steps/mm for all three axes and it may not be a simple,whole number due to the sizes of the toothed pulleys.

When we stray into the territory of motion controllers and VFD's for three phase spindles,I'm out of my depth.I have reported fault codes and pressed reset buttons but nothing more and then not with AXYZ.I also wouldn't know where to start with setting parameters for toolchangers so will contribute nothing on that topic.I believe LinuxCNC will do all you need if you know how to configure it and UCCNC seems to be well regarded.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to routerdriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SullyandChance View Post
    Thanks for your comments. The frame and gantry of the AZYZ 6010 (which I believe was their most heavy-duty model at the time) struck me as very solid and well made, top class welding and finish, far superior to comparable Chinese-made machines I've looked at.
    Yes, they are better than Chinese machines but so they should be at twice to three times the cost.!

Do you happen to know if the parts likely to fail soonest (motors? rails? bearing blocks? racks and pinions? drive belts? motion controllers?) are generic or manufacturer-specific? And if there are alternative parts sources in the UK for these?
    Well, the first thing to say is that the AXYZ machines don't use any special mechanical components, they are all off-the-shelf components that can be replaced easily. Which given the high price they ask for these machines is surprising, mostly I think they are charging for the custom software.?

Usually, it's the electronics that fail first on most machines and not just AXYZ but machines in general, the rails and bearings last for a very long time if maintained correctly and I would be avoiding any machine that has worn rails or bearings out because they have either been neglected or done a lot of miles.

After the electronics, I would say the most common mechanical wear item is the Rack and Pinion along with gearboxes for the ratio often used on rack n pinion drive systems, some will use belts but most use gearboxes. Again, if gearboxes and to a lesser degree rack/pinons are worn out it's an indication of poor maintenance or high miles.

Components like Racks, pinions, Motors, drives, controllers, etc are all easily sourced in the UK or from the EU.
    The motors could be either be Steppers or servos depending on the age and Spec of the machine, I think until recently the standard spec was stepper system with servo's being an upgrade. But again these are easily sourced in the UK as they are not bespoke components and just use the standard NEMA frame size.

Same with Drives and electronics, all easily sourced, however, the control software will change as AXYZ does have custom bespoke control software. But this is not always a bad thing and often performance will increase with modern software/electronics.

On the machines, I build or retrofit we use an Ethernet motion controller using UCCNC control software and this is the same controller/software my friend uses on the AXYZ routers he's converted and I know through him that they certainly increase performance and reliability compared to stand AXYZ controller.!

If the mechanicals is ok then I wouldn't let the electrical or mechanical put you off buying if the price is right and you are prepared to move away from the custom AXYZ software and fit an after-market controller because the rest are easily sourced.

Thanks very much for this info, reassuring to know that these machines can be maintained and repaired even if AXYZ isn't providing any support.

If the motion control system fails, roughly what does it cost to replace the original with the UCCNC system you mentioned?

On the mechanicals, are there any quick checks/tests one can do with a used machine to gauge how worn the racks and pinions and the rails and bearings are?

If the motion control system fails, roughly what does it cost to replace the original with the UCCNC system you mentioned?
    It depends on your needs. Work out how many I/O you need then you know your options.
    CNCdrive do a deal evry so often where you get a controller, bboard, cables & license in a bundle.
    http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?categoryID=174

I bought a UC300eth, 2*UCBB's, license, a bunch of extra cabling, and some other small bits.
    Cost me £260 + £60ish to import it. Pretty much futurproofs the machine tbf.

Or go all out with a UC300eth max from cncroom (UC300, UB1, UD1, license).
    https://cncroomx.com/en/product/uc300eth-max/

I would've got away with a UC400 but I recently got a servo for a spindle change on the mill.
    I want to separate everything to it's own dedicated inputs like the limits, faults, encoder. Worked out at 17 inputs needed.
    The next plan is tool changer etc on the second board and servo's on all axis (but I may never get that far).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Depends on which controller you use but the controller and I/O boards, plus software license will be around £200-£250. However, these are not direct replacements in terms of plug & play so you will need some experience in terms of retrofitting or will need to pay someone who does. How much this costs will depend on the machine and what's on it ie: ATC, pops-up's etc

On the mechanicals, are there any quick checks/tests one can do with a used machine to gauge how worn the racks and pinions and the rails and bearings are?
    The rails should be free of dents and nicks, the bearings should be smooth running not growling, and without any play when grabbed firmly and moved side to side,

Racks should have relatively sharp teeth not rounded over, similar with the pinion, but more importantly, there should be minimal play(backlash) between rack and pinion.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-07-2021 at 02:31 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information