. .
    So after spending 2 years with a non ballnut (entry level) CNC machine , I've just ponied up for a proper used CNC machine with ballscrews & decent drivers (btw - woaah ...what a difference!)

Now I can't immediately lay my hands on my dial indicator, so just wondered...is there normally much in the way of measure-able backlash when ballscrews & ballnuts are deployed? (bear in mind this is a used machine ...albeit the machine doesn't look heavily used).

For those of you that have CNC machines with ballnuts ....is your backlash compensation setting in your CNC app set to zero?!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 13-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    So after spending 2 years with a non ballnut (entry level) CNC machine , I've just ponied up for a proper used CNC machine with ballscrews & decent drivers (btw - woaah ...what a difference!)
    How many times over the years have said do your self favor and buy some proper drives. . .Lol

Now I can't immediately lay my hands on my dial indicator, so just wondered...is there normally much in the way of measure-able backlash when ballscrews & ballnuts are deployed? (bear in mind this is a used machine ...albeit the machine doesn't look heavily used).
    If you can see it without dial indicator then they are knackerd.!! . . . If you have backlash then it can often be seen on cut edges, esp with circles has a step where the cut starts & finishes.

For those of you that have CNC machines with ballnuts ....is your backlash compensation setting in your CNC app set to zero?!
    Yep set it to Zero and don't bother with it.!!. . Using Backlash comp pretty much defeats the point of having ballscrews and really it's very poor substitute for good screws often used by the acme screws mill users start with. . . . Personally Wouldn't even bother with it and just put real screws on.!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information