. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Well, i've spent a lot of time deliberating and pestering certain folk, so now it's time to get started.

I've decided on the following:

Main framework will be 8020 type extrusion
    Belt drive for X & Y axes, and a ballscrew drive for the Z axis.
    Nema 23 steppers, PM 752 drivers and an optoport BOB.
    Home brew power supply
    Canibalised hand router for spindle.

The assembly steps will be dependant on what materials I have managed to procure, and will take a wee while to complete.

I welcome comments and criticisms (constructive only), it's my first but I doubt my last build, there would appear to be a little niche market here in N.I. either that or nobody local wants to be friends :cry:

Be patient, it's a saga not a short story .....

Here is a pic of the build that I am basing my build on, it was the best example that I could find to meet my requirements.

Relatively straightforward construction (we'll see)
    Material availability
    adaptability
    size
    cost
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main_view.gif 
Views:	2284 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1928  

What size bed are you thinking of and how do you see the belt drive working on the x and y?

Bed size will be 34" x 24", this is the max size I can accommodate where it will be located.

X axis will have a stepper driven shaft running the width of the bed with a pulley at each end, a similar configuration will be at the other end of the bed using stub shafts perhaps. The two belts will be fixed to the lower section of the moving gantry.

Y axis will have the stepper and a couple of pulleys mounted on top of the gantry, belt will be attached in the area of the linear carriage.

These are my ideas at the moment, when I get the construction started then I will be able to appreciate the configuration better.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Good choice on the stepper drives. Ive got the 542's and their really good.

I take it thats not the actual drawing of your machine but just in case, Don't mount the main y beam like that cus it will move all over the place. Extend the side supports up and fix the beam top and bottom. if your using the plate and skate bearings then also extend the plate to the side support. that will make it much more rigid.

Theres quite a few other bits that could do with changing but I dont want to be to negative

Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Good choice on the stepper drives. Ive got the 542's and their really good.

I take it thats not the actual drawing of your machine but just in case, Don't mount the main y beam like that cus it will move all over the place. Extend the side supports up and fix the beam top and bottom. if your using the plate and skate bearings then also extend the plate to the side support. that will make it much more rigid.

Theres quite a few other bits that could do with changing but I dont want to be to negative
    I spent the morning wiring up a test rig to see if I can get the stepper to turn, then the missus arrived home from work and we went out, so maybe later.

The drawing is a machine i'm modelling my build on, I plan on resting the Y axis gantry as per the drawing but using some plate material on the end face and down the side of the gantry support for strength, and yes I plan to extend the carriage plate across the full width. This decision is based on how I think I can physically secure the extrusions together.

I generally tend to over engineer things, so we'll see how this goes. I'm held on the main framework waiting on some more extrusion, i'm getting it buck shee, so willing to wait, well so far ....

Comment away about your ideas for change, all welcome, this is all new to me so I like to weigh up the options.

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    I spent the morning wiring up a test rig to see if I can get the stepper to turn
    Been there, worked fine indoors as a trial but when i set it up on the machine nothing...... 1/2 hour of head scratching and I realised I hadnt done the driver test for mach to take over windows, as usual operator error....lol

Anyway back to your machine. Over engineering is fine but there are a lot of redundant parts in that design, before I stick my oar in I need to know a few more details

Are you using the skatebearing arrangement, what are you cutting, what is the power of your motors and what are the sizes of the 8020?

>1/2 hour of head scratching and I realised I hadnt done the driver test for mach to take over windows, as usual operator error - tell me more

yes i'm using the carriages with bearings etc
    plan to cut acrylic, various woods, aluminium alloy if I can

Motors are from Zapp SY60STH88-3008BF wired bipolar parallel

8020 (or equiv) sizes for base frame tba
    8020 (or equiv) for gantry is 90 x 90 sq section, supported on 2 x 45x45 sq sections

Managed to get doing a wee bit today.....

I wired up the unregulated power supply, outputs 58Vdc

I also wired up the optoboard, M752 driver and one of the steppers, unfortunately I couldn't get the motor to turn YET !!! made the relevant settings in Mach3, but no joy. Is it a null modem cable - think so, it's an old laplink cable. Tested using a laptop, the parallel port appeared as ECP port. Opto and driver boards show power leds fine, on power on the stepper "clamps"

Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test_layout.gif 
Views:	687 
Size:	438.8 KB 
ID:	1940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test_rig.gif 
Views:	659 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	1941  

Have you got the manual? page 2-5. Look for "driver test.exe" in the folder that you installed Mach to. save a short cut to desk top and run before you open mach3. Using a laptop could be your main problem tho. big no no. some people have got them to work but i understand its a nighmare. I've found with any new process or eqipment its best to start very basic and work up. so have you got a desktop PC that you can use to get it up and running?
    That way you would know the drivers and motors worked and it was purely a windows thing.

I'll have a look at your design tommorow

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information