. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Looking at the floor layout of my new workshop and bemoaning the fact that even with all this new space there isn't room for a 1/4 sheet (4 x 2) router, I suddenly realised that there is in fact wall space.

Which got me thinking...

Why are all 'flat bed' router machines horizontal? What's to stop them being vertical?

That way it would only need a bit over 2 foot wide of wall space.

The only issues I can see are:

• the need to take gravity into account. If the y-axis is vertical then only the router head has to be lifted against gravity, so some thought about the design of that is needed;
    • fixing of the board to be machined, but a good clamping system should do there;
    • debris will fall onto the lower X-rail so again some thinking there (or put x vertical but then the x-motors have to lift the gantry too).

Has anyone ever seen one done this way?

2. Jazzcnc has done this.

Here is his post: http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/router...-vertical.html

"If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

3. Thanks ... must have missed that one... well if its good enough for Jazz... :)

I mmust admit to being a little disappointed. I always read his posts with an "autobot" voice in my head, I forgot 'e were northern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transformers-Jazz-Autobot-www.transformerscustomtoys.com_.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	6869

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I mmust admit to being a little disappointed. I always read his posts with an "autobot" voice in my head, I forgot 'e were northern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transformers-Jazz-Autobot-www.transformerscustomtoys.com_.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	6869
    I hate my voice on video I sound gay... Lol . . . . . . Which leads to ask does anyone know a good cheap video editor so I can put text on instead has I have a few I'd like to erase my guy tones on.?

Irving It's the best thing I've done with the machine. Can honestly say it has no down sides only great positives.
    My machine Isn't in the ideal position or orientation and if building from scratch to go vertical then it would have a few purpose built features which I've learnt from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I hate my voice on video I sound gay... Lol . . . . . . Which leads to ask does anyone know a good cheap video editor so I can put text on instead has I have a few I'd like to erase my guy tones on.?
    You're fine don't worry, you always sound strange when you listen to yourself. If memory serves the moviemaker than came with XP did subtitles, not sure what Vista/Win7 might do though. We could always do with more videos, your calendar vid is an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Irving It's the best thing I've done with the machine. Can honestly say it has no down sides only great positives.
    My machine Isn't in the ideal position or orientation and if building from scratch to go vertical then it would have a few purpose built features which I've learnt from this one.
    What changes would you make?

Location unknown. TrickyCNC Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    The only problem I can think of, is holding parts that are cut clean out. no tabs etc. at best, the parts will fall on the floor, at worst, they will trap the cutter and maybe snap it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyCNC View Post
    The only problem I can think of, is holding parts that are cut clean out. no tabs etc. at best, the parts will fall on the floor, at worst, they will trap the cutter and maybe snap it.
    Not a problem at all. It's actually better than when horizontal. When horizontal the cutter will try to fling the part just the same with exactly the same consequences if tool gets trapped. Even when horizontal the required parts need to be held securely other wise it's a lottery if they will be damaged or not. Waste parts can be left lose but it's a lottery to what happens with them, they too can trap tools.
    Being vertical the lose part drops away far easier than when in horizontal position and if for any reason it does clash with tool it gets flicked away far easier.
    Also because most of the chips etc are falling away then there's virtually no chips clogging the slot again leaving the part to be ejected easier.

Put it this way it's not snapped any yet or even remotely looked like doing and it's cut plenty of Aluminium, Brass, copper, wood, plastic since being on the wall.
    The cutters are lasting longer, the finish is better due to virtually no chip re-cutting and I need much less blown air to clear the remaining chips and best of all 90% the chips fall neatly into a bin on the floor.

10. Looking at your video Jazz, the most obvious design change is that blooming great cable chain sticking out sideways now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information