. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Whilst reading around I came across various mention of lights dimming and all sorts of intrigue while turning on equipment. This leads me to wonder if I am going to run into problems with supplying power.

There is a single point in the room I'm using - a standard double socket. It's almost guaranteed to be on a spur as it is a converted attic. Is this likely to cause me any major problems in terms of running PSUs, VFDs etc? I hate the idea of having to reset breakers on a regular basis because the CU is all the way down in the basement, past the dragons and cave trolls and big hairy spiders

What current is the spur fused at? Simple answer is add up the power of everything that could be on at one time, then compare it to what you can get from the sockets.

Running a CNC router (so VFD, stepper motors, computer, water pump, maybe air compressor) should be fine on a 13A socket. Mine certainly uses a lot less than that. It's theoretically possible that the VFD could draw 2.2kW whilst the stepper motors are drawing a few hundred watts along with the computer, which might take the total over 3kW, but that's incredibly unlikely - I don't think I've ever drawn the full power from my spindle.
    However if you put a kettle or a heater on there that could easily take you over 13A.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

You need to find out for sure because VFD's and high powered PSU's come in with a kick.!

If it is a just a spur then wouldn't recommend you pull everything off it and chances are it's rated 13A.? Most VFD/spindles can potentially pull between 7-8A and 3 axis machine/PSU could pull 8-10 under full load and 10-12 if twin screw setup or 4th axis.?
    Then you have secondery stuff like PSU for BoB's, coolant pump etc and then there's the PC.! Heater in winter, alarm clock so you don't miss ya dinner or Coronation street etc etc Ye get the picture.!! . . So all in all you could potentially be pulling over 13A under full load.?

I certainly wouldn't be happy running all this off a 13A spur.! . . . I think you'll certainly be needing your shield and sword for the dragons and trolls every now & again.??

Ha ha didn't see Jonathans post.!! . . . . No surprise thats Another thing we don't agree on.! But thats ok because it's not my house you'll be burning down after you find out he's wrong. .

As to the first question about the current for the spur, no idea. I am not aware of any seperate fuse for this so I guess it's just a matter of checking the fuse for the ring downstairs.

Each work area has an extension lead out to it and I tend to make sure I'm only using one area at a time anyway. All that would be running would be the CNC kit including computer, though what I mean by "kit" is vague I suppose. VFD, steppers, water pump seem certain. Dust extraction for wood, coolant pump for metal are nice ideas but unlikely just now, some airflow into the planned enclosure is likely though.

As for other comments about lights dimming on startup, is that a feature of a particular piece of equipment and can it be avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ha ha didn't see Jonathans post.!! . . . . No surprise thats Another thing we don't agree on.! But thats ok because it's not my house you'll be burning down after you find out he's wrong. .
    Yeah I won't be mentioning that last line to the wife

This might take a bit more planning and balancing then. Steppers and Drivers were going to be 3 x Nema 23 3Nm and PM752s, spindle to be chosen based on price and availability at the time!

I could always run an extension lead up the stairs to run the fan during the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    As to the first question about the current for the spur, no idea. I am not aware of any seperate fuse for this so I guess it's just a matter of checking the fuse for the ring downstairs.
    Well in this case like I say you need to find out for sure because in this case the whole house is pulling off it and you could be stuffed unless you turn off everything else in house.!!

As for other comments about lights dimming on startup, is that a feature of a particular piece of equipment and can it be avoided?
    This would indicate a really high initial draw so could be large transformer or dodgy motor pulling high Amps.? Could be many reasons.!
    My lights don't dim and I run high power transformers and large motors with high power draw on startup like my big compressor.! There's many times I'm running CNC machine while I'm using Lathe with mechanical saw cutting in background and compressor kicking in & out blowing chips form machine, sometimes I even have extractor going at same time.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well in this case like I say you need to find out for sure because in this case the whole house is pulling off it and you could be stuffed unless you turn off everything else in house.!!
    You're a little bundle of joy, sometimes, did you know that? Still, these are things that never occured to me that I'll need to worry about and address before, not after.

I'm stubbornly hoping this will all work out because I've not got another space I can use at the moment.

I could always run an extension lead up the stairs to run the fan during the summer!
    Won't matter if they are all pulling off the same ring.? If this is the case now you have to total everything using power and pulling off this ring in the house and be sure it's not going to exceed the fuse rating.? . . . . Don't let the wife put kettle on or hair dryer or take a shower while using machine thats for sure.!!

Yeah that's one of the new things I have to worry about. I'm rather hoping that at least the upstairs rooms will be on their own ring, I thought it was usual to have a ring per floor. If that's the case then, thankfully, the only other thing running on that ring during the day would be the aquarium. Oh great, now I have to go home and work out how much the aquarium heater/pumps etc are using

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information