Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11
    You could try a shellac based sealer like Rustins Sanding Sealer. At least it dries quickly.
    Last edited by cropwell; 01-07-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Albert Einstein may have been a genius, but his brother Frank, was a monster

    Sent from my clunky old Windows 7 Machine

  2. #12
    ok lots of suggestions thanks.

    just to give a bit of context, I want to get a really good finish on this like this. its machines from mdf, due to the complex nature sanding is not welcome



    so with this stuff, put it first? then spray what ever colour over the top?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-Barc...AAAOSwBLlU1gcf


    this suggests lots of sanding

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustins-SA...IAAOSw3YNXbkca

  3. #13
    The reasonably fine "engraved" features will tend to fill up with anything that might help cover rough surfaces.
    The example you asked about has no fine surface detail, most likely for this reason.

    You could cut the part leaving material for a fine finish path with a ball nose cutter on the detail and seal it with cyanoacrylate before the finishing cut,

    - Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 01-07-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:


  5. #14
    If it was me I would spray the finish, dulux undercoat with dulux liquid gloss for the top coat. Thin them both down enough that they pass well through your spray system but also coat the job well, light sand in between coats and the job should turn out very nice.

    With any paint job, the finish is a result of the prep, so on this, only you can decide what level of prep your willing to go to.

    Edit/tip: Warm the paint up in the tin first as it makes it much easier to apply and with good spray gear you may not need any thinning.

    .Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 01-07-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    .Me

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:


  7. #15
    the engraving was a bit of a one off, but point taken

    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The reasonably fine "engraved" features will tend to fill up with anything that might help cover rough surfaces.
    The example you asked about has no fine surface detail, most likely for this reason.

    You could cut the part leaving material for a fine finish path with a ball nose cutter on the detail and seal it with cyanoacrylate before the finishing cut,

    - Nick

  8. #16
    not sure dulux would cut it, especially watered down. ive got some mdf primer from wickes and its ok but not great

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    If it was me I would spray the finish, dulux undercoat with dulux liquid gloss for the top coat. Thin them both down enough that they pass well through your spray system but also coat the job well, light sand in between coats and the job should turn out very nice.

    With any paint job, the finish is a result of the prep, so on this, only you can decide what level of prep your willing to go to.

    Edit/tip: Warm the paint up in the tin first as it makes it much easier to apply and with good spray gear you may not need any thinning.

    .Me

  9. #17
    The type of finish you are after is attainable but only with considerable time and money. Normal household paints or automotive rattle cans just do not cut it. Only one way I have found to get a decent finish on MDF.

    Sand well with fine grit sanding wheel.
    Apply MDF sealer,
    Sand lightly again.
    Use a 2 pack Hi-build primer.
    Light sand with 600 grit paper.
    2 or 3 coats of 2 pack finish colour,
    2 or more coats of clear coat.

    If you want to go this route you will need a good quality air fed spray gun, a spray booth and good PPE because the 2 pack is nasty stuff if you inhale it.

    Commercial furniture spray paints are available that can do the job much easier but are expensive and you have to buy at least 100 litres at a time.

    Good luck
    Last edited by alboy; 01-07-2016 at 10:23 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to alboy For This Useful Post:


  11. #18
    Im not after perfect juaf after a good finish

    Thanks for all thd advice

  12. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    not sure dulux would cut it, especially watered down. ive got some mdf primer from wickes and its ok but not great
    I am, o it's oil based by the way, good luck.

    .Me
    .Me

  13. #20
    Fred's Avatar
    Lives in Reigate, Albania. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 34. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    If you're planning to paint it and not have any wood grain visible, maybe don't use wood. Is there another material that suits your requirements better?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to get this finish..?
    By Wal in forum Metal Finishing Techniques
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-02-2017, 11:08 PM
  2. Smooth finish with v bit on mdf
    By Skydeals in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-10-2015, 10:28 PM
  3. MDF.. More or less teeth/flutes for a better finish ?
    By Nthkentman in forum Woodwork Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-11-2014, 12:42 PM
  4. Aluminum finish
    By Boyan Silyavski in forum Metal Finishing Techniques
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
  5. Better finish
    By luke11cnc in forum Wood Finishing Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 27-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •